Unhappy Interstate Battery

I purchased two interstate deep cycle batteries in august. starting battery discharged while fishing a week ago. I charged both batteries and checked voltage the next day. one read 12.7V and the other read 11.1 v.
    Returned battery to dealer and after testing was told that "the battery had been filled with water". It basically had no acid. I have only added a couple of ounces of water since I have had them. I am really confused as to how I could end up purchasing a battery with no electrolite and just water????

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Check specific gravity on each cell. If the electrolyte spilled out of a cell rather than evaporated and was replaced with water you could cause the reduced voltage. SG test will show you.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Interesting. What do you use to charge these batteries? I have had two Everstart trolling motor batteries in use for my trolling motor and never added any water, for two years, and I check every couple of months. Some batteries use more water (never add acid) than others but in this case I'd look at your charging source's voltage to make sure it is not too high, and boiling out the electrolyte.
    The battery itself could have been defective or it could have been spilled at some point in its life. Is it rated at deep cycle/starting?

4. Member
    As a battery discharges the acid moves into the plates and the electrolyte becomes closer to plain water. When you recharge you move the acid from the plates back into the electrolyte.
    That is why you can check the state of charge by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte.

5. Member
    Thanks to all who posted a reply.

CALFAN, The boat is a 17 footer and we have bad roads in louisiana. It does bounce around on the roads quite a bit.

I have a stealth AC charger. Plug in variety not the one connected to the engine. I bought two batteries together as I am running a 24 V trolling and use the #1 battery to crank engine. 50HP 2 stroke yamaha. I added distilled water a few weeks ago and probably added too much according to the battery guy. He says its tap water. I have owned trolling batteries since 1973. The only time I ever used tap water was in a friends boat that was extremely low on water. Sorry, i digressed.
    I purchased another battery from interstate since they would not replace it. In the mean time, I had been communicating with interstate via email. I am getting a refund from Interstate (not the local distributor) for the battery I had to buy today.
    I questioned battery guy so I could learn from my mistakes. The other battery that I added water to is holding 12.6 volts. Something is wrong with the 6 month old battery I returned. I did buy a hygrometer to monitor the batteries going forward. Fishing buddies all swear by Optima's. I am happy with the refund.

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJames View Post
    As a battery discharges the acid moves into the plates and the electrolyte becomes closer to plain water. When you recharge you move the acid from the plates back into the electrolyte.
    That is why you can check the state of charge by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
    This.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

7. Member
    If the battery you get fails soon, you can deduce that it is either overstressed or not getting charged. All the water in a battery has to be is over the top of the cells plus 3/8 inch. Most Interstates were see through sides so you could see how much electrolyte is in them compared to the cells tops. You should only top off the cells after they are charged if they are wet when you start.

8. Member
    I’d take the battery they wouldn’t replace and toss it through their front door. I used to love Interstates, now hate them. Batteries Plus or Sams Duracell’s (East Penn / Deka) for me for the time being. Rant over!

9. Member
    Do you have a volt meter? Check the voltage while charging. If your charger is working properly it should be higher than 13volts. Battery guy saying it’s testing as water, and low voltage, sounds like a charger issue. As others have said, the distilled water will turn to sulfuric acid as the battery reaches full charge.

10. Member
    Used to run Interstate deep cycles for trolling motor until myself and friends also using them starting getting poor life from properly maintained batteries.

One buddy just in last couple weeks took one out of his Ranger that the case was split open on one end almost completely top to bottom.

11. Member
    TR196,

You are correct. Checked the batteries during charging and one of the banks was not charging. The bad charger bank showed 12.5V during charging. The other bank was 14V. Borrowed another charger and connected it to the battery. It read 13.7V while charging. I will check voltage after every charge now. I really feel that the battery people were so focused on not warranting the battery, that they never mentioned checking the charger. What a disservice.

12. Member
    Glad you got it figured out...just in time for the spring spawn!

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti