Thread: Ranger Quality

Ranger Quality

Just picked up a 2019 Z520L last Thursday. Had to take seats and console out to run a 3 & 1 transducer cable. (Recommend paying someone to do it for you) Any way, this project really put me in tune with Ranger quality control. I found no issues in my boat that a quick vacuum did not take care of. Everything was secure, neat and well placed through out the boat. This is my 11th. Ranger and very pleased with the quality and build as I have been with all the others.

2. Member
    That's awesome to hear. If u haven't already, please post some pics
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member
    That’s great to hear, I am thinking about ordering a 520L in the near future. I’ve never owned a ranger, just sold my legend a
    few months ago. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Rangers. I was overall happy with my legend but it had some issues, that I felt it shouldn’t have had for being $78k. Looking to move on and not look back.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger randy View Post
    Just picked up a 2019 Z520L last Thursday. Had to take seats and console out to run a 3 & 1 transducer cable. (Recommend paying someone to do it for you) Any way, this project really put me in tune with Ranger quality control. I found no issues in my boat that a quick vacuum did not take care of. Everything was secure, neat and well placed through out the boat. This is my 11th. Ranger and very pleased with the quality and build as I have been with all the others.
    11th Ranger, how old are you? lol

5. Member
    IDC107,

I sold my Legend in July and am now in a 2018 520L with a G2 on it, no regrets. Glad to be back in the Ranger family.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Spook View Post
    IDC107,

I sold my Legend in July and am now in a 2018 520L with a G2 on it, no regrets. Glad to be back in the Ranger family.

That’s great to hear as I was thinking of getting a 520L with a G2 on it. I am debating the new merc 4stroke but I think I’m going to try a G2. Same as the Ranger, I’ve never owned a G2 but I hear they are powerhouses.

7. Member
    Enjoy reading this kind of report. I bought my first and only Ranger in 2014, a new Z520C. Couldn't be any happier. The new L boats sure are good looking though.

8. Member
    I'm glad to hear this too I bought my first Ranger in 2014 Z521C was hesitant about the L boats after the buy out now I'm going to take a closer look at them.

9. Member
    I will be pulling a mega si transducer cable soon to rig my new 519. What is a 3&1 transducer?

Just want to make sure that pulling the cable from the transom to the console will be straight forward for me.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IDCI07 View Post
    That’s great to hear as I was thinking of getting a 520L with a G2 on it. I am debating the new merc 4stroke but I think I’m going to try a G2. Same as the Ranger, I’ve never owned a G2 but I hear they are powerhouses.
    The G2 is a beast with a great hole shot and mid-range torque, especially for a heavy Ranger. So far top end on a cool day solo has been 73.5 and probably a little more to go, 68-69 with a tournament load. Runs much quieter than my Opti 2 stroke and more gas/oil efficient. Best of all is the 10 year warranty deal!

Good to hear and congrats!

Great to hear. That was my exact thought in my 2018 and I have inspected it thoroughly.

13. Member
    Mikez521: Started with a 1972 TR-3, 65 Evinrude electric shift, Motor Guide, Ranger Trailer. $1800 out the door.

BoilermakerRT178: Two person job for sure. On mine, both seats and middle console come out as one piece. Took vent screen under console off, ran fish tape from under console down to vent and then through tube that fuel line runs through to back of boat. Once we could get to the fish tape, pulling the transducer cable was a piece of cake. I was lucky, my neighbor is a jack leg mechanic and I could not have done it without his help and knowledge. Good Luck!

14. Member
    My 2017 is my third, and by far more trouble free than the copies I had in the 80’s and 90’s.

Don’t buy the hype on Ranger went downhill after the JM buyout.

Every manufacture puts puts out a problem child from time to time.

15. Member
    BoilermakerRT178: Two person job for sure. On mine, both seats and middle console come out as one piece. Took vent screen under console off, ran fish tape from under console down to vent and then through tube that fuel line runs through to back of boat. Once we could get to the fish tape, pulling the transducer cable was a piece of cake. I was lucky, my neighbor is a jack leg mechanic and I could not have done it without his help and knowledge. Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your experience Randy. This is the first time I heard that seats have to be removed to pull cable.

I was hoping that there was a tube that was accessible without doing major surgery like that? Is this the only way to accomplish this?

16. Member
    Different boat, but I pulled the drivers seat to run two new transducers cable to the console and it was a piece of cake. With the seat still in, I tried for an hour with a fish tape and never got anywhere. Much, much easier with the seat pulled.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

17. Member
    OK looking at previous threads it looks like pulling the seat is pretty straight forward? And it makes it a ton easier.

Is this thread with pics still applicable to current seat designs? I found this to be super useful.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=74878

18. Member
    BoilermakerRT178: The L boat is totally different than the thread you posted but results the same. As someone said running a fish tape without pulling the seat is almost impossible as I tried several hours to find the tube without success. Once seats are removed, it's clear why it's hard to find the tube with seats in. Once driver seat is removed, it's about 15-30 minute job to run the tape and pull the cable. Another good tip that I didn't do was the suggestion of pulling string back through for future use. Good luck and let us know how it went.