Fastbass Marine TV -- MADEFI Flywheel Test

Here is a test of the MADEFI Flywheel. The change was really simple. The flywheel can be a little difficult to pull off, but after it breaks free it pulls right off. It took us about 30 minutes to change it out. More time was spent looking for tools in the garage than doing the actual swap.

I did this change last year and have been taking data readings as I change things so the video has a lot to show. As you will see this is a lot more than just a Flywheel test.

You will see 5 different tests all overlayed on one video. Since this is just about holeshot the video is quick. I cut the video at around 70mph. Until I got the DBR kit this prop was on the limiter, so the top end was capped at 93 (pre DBR) for every run.

1. Stock 300XS with stock flywheel
    2. Stock 300XS with MADEFI flywheel
    3. Stock 300XS, MADEFI flywheel, Power Poles
    4. Stock 300XS, MADEFI flywheel, Power Poles, and 3" of additional setback
    5. DBR 300XS, MADEFI flywheel, Power Poles, and 3" of additional setback

A few notes and observations:
    -I didn't include top end speed info. The flywheel change was all holeshot.
    -It was immediately noticeable the difference in holeshot. On the 300XS you could feel this and it showed up in the data very clearly.
    -Adding Power Poles cut the gains in nearly half. This was before I had my tilting brackets. I do not have the Ally brackets, my poles are mounted farther back and drag at holeshot.
    -As with the poles, when I added 3" of setback I could feel some of the quickness drain away. After the additional 3" of setback, I lost everything I gained with the flywheel.
    -Adding the DBR kit brought me back to just a little better than when I added the flywheel. It will be difficult for me to go backward, so I can't test flywheel and DBR without Power Poles or the additional setback. I think it's clear what the results would be.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Awesome testing! Does your motor ever stall with the lightened flywheel?
    - Allison XB2003
    - Mercury Racing 300xs
    - A ride on the California Delta: https://youtu.be/9oTVcRWWKcM

Sometimes when I shift into gear with the 32. It’s not often. I haven’t had it happen yet with anything smaller.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Awesome data sir, thanks!
    Carte's Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Cartes Custom View Post
    Awesome data sir, thanks!
    Gearcase, 1.62's vs 1.75's coming up next!
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Gearcase, 1.62's vs 1.75's coming up next!
    Cool!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Cool!
    I will keep testing stuff. Just leave your boat at Tim's and he will get it all installed. I'm looking forward to running your wheels!
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    If you remove the bolt on weight in the flywheel what does it weigh then? Do you feel like or have data to prove what the set back did for you? Looks like the DBR mod is a big improvement.

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I forgot I had the weights removed under my flywheel 2 years ago. Only thing I really noticed was a different sound at idle.

Then again, I'm getting older and can't hear as well, my balance is not what it used to be my reflexes suck and I guess just as in tuned to things!! lol

Now that Tim Powell fella is dialed in if he can feel the hull respond to a 12" lowrance graph mounted on a gunnel mount going 80 in rough water!! that's something!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I doubt this would be noticed if one wasn’t out testing for it with a data logger. It’s hard to feel one second or notice you have traveled farther with no landmarks on the water to use as a reference. Other mods add top end, so they are easier to notice.

I would never advise this much setback. It was strictly for the top speeds I want to run with the power that is currently on the boat. 10” is what I recommend to any that ask.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    What didn't you like with the 13" setback? Did it make a difference on the top end?

Holeshot got worse. Made the boat hard to race. The poles didn’t help either.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

13. Member
    I felt the hole shot was better after removing the weight in the flywheel. Although very slight. As far as set back because my boat doesn’t seem to perform like several others I was wondering if going to 12 would help.
    Last edited by hooken203; 01-23-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I can’t spell

14. Banned
    Good stuff, so the lower MOI of the flywheel allowed the motor to spool up faster though once wound up it didn't make much difference it sounds like in parasitic loss. You didn't happen to run the standard flywheel with the longer setback as that would really slow the holeshot I imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    I felt the hole shot was better after removing the weight in the flywheel. Although very slight. As far as set back because my boat doesn’t seem to perform like several others I was wondering if going to 12 would help.
    You are not that far away. We should pick a spot and meet up sometime this summer.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Good stuff, so the lower MOI of the flywheel allowed the motor to spool up faster though once wound up it didn't make much difference it sounds like in parasitic loss. You didn't happen to run the standard flywheel with the longer setback as that would really slow the holeshot I imagine?
    Thanks

Yes, MadEFI said the impact is only on the bottom end. I didn't see anything on top, but I think you are trying to split hairs to catch it. Wind, water conditions, air temp, and such can probably change the result just as much. I thought I would put it to the test not because I didn't believe them, but I had friends ask if it was worth the money. I hate saying yes without real numbers. It was the same with DBR.

Along the way, I pulled data after major changes. I never really compared the other stuff until I was putting the video together. I thought the results were interesting so I put them in.

To me, I think the results are clear what holeshot with the added setback would be without the flywheel, I didn't swap after the setback change. Too much work and I'm lazy.

This summer I will race again with it, but I won't be decreasing the setback. The DBR put me in a pretty good spot. I will take the hit.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    You are not that far away. We should pick a spot and meet up sometime this summer.
    Sure that sounds good. We can work it out when winter lets go.