Thread: Shipping a boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter bite View Post
    Uninformed and low IQ response.
    You are incorrect. It's the buyers responsibility to have it shipped. Also buyer pays for shipping

Why would asking to get the boat shipped automatically be a SCAM? I almost always start my search for a used boat way up north as they are usually well kept and have very low hours. Shipping a boat from Minnesota to Florida at $1000 makes more sense to me than driving to pick it up and towing it 2200 miles back home. As the buyer I always expect to handle the cost and coordination of both the marine inspection and shipping arrangements.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy1337 View Post
    Sold enough boats and vehicles over the internet and have always found that someone who wants it shipped is generally a scam. May or may not be the case in your situation but would be careful.
    I'd say it's not your job. What if you went to all that trouble and still got scammed?

4. Member
    I have sold a lot of things to be shipped. But I did find out you never set up the shipping.Reason if you setup the shipping and it gets damaged in anyway during shipping it is on you .(your man are company did it) Now the buyer wants you to take it back are have it fixed at your dollar. I would help the buyer find a shipper then it is up to him are her to do the rest you stay out of it. Make sure you are paid 100% before it leaves wire transfer is the best. And yes if I want to pay by paypal it is a scam.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

5. Member
    Always leaves you a little uncomfortable like people have said. The biggest thing I’m afraid of is it’s all legit and clear and then the boat gets damaged in transit. I got him in touch with my local marine mechanic and he’s willing to wrap it and deliver so we’ll see if those too can come to terms.
    For me the money was wired this morning and the buyer knows I won’t send the SC bill of sale or title until my bank confirms everything and then we can schedule shipping.

We’ll see, definitely a risk for both.... after all, he did see the boat on BBC so he’s got to be a stand up guy, RIGHT?!?
    Thanks all, Scott

6. Member
    Take several photos of the boat. I would also email the photos to the new owner. If it gets damaged in transit, its the haulers problem. Just make sure they do have insurance for this.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 01-22-2019 at 01:14 PM.

7. Member
    Well Hell, you didn't say you sold it to somebody on BBC? That makes a ton of difference, the Fear Of Al goes a long way.

8. Banned
    You should know all about the low IQ part.

9. Scraps
    Not so sure it's scamming, but a good idea to have the buyer responsible for the shipping. I had looked at boats that would have required shipping and always assumed it would be on me if I went that route.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well Hell, you didn't say you sold it to somebody on BBC? That makes a ton of difference, the Fear Of Al goes a long way.
    I agree with the fear factor but he found it listed on BBC, not a member. I have communicated extensively with the guy and feel certain it’s legit, just trying to work out the distance and he was having trouble getting good shipping numbers. I’ll keep going with the process, I should just drive it down there and make a trip out of it, always wanted to get to Hartwell or Murray. Should have made that part of the deal

11. Member
    it is always good to go an look in person take it to the lake test drive an check out accessories all used boats run good on water hoses.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not your problem. If somebody wants you to ship, they are likely scamming you. Let them deal with it.
    Agree that’s the buyers problem. Let them deal with it. When you get money in hand then they can pick it up however they want.

No, that would be yours. I've sold multiple boats to out of state buyers and never worried about how they got it home. They want it, they can come get it, pretty simple.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    No, that would be yours. I've sold multiple boats to out of state buyers and never worried about how they got it home. They want it, they can come get it, pretty simple.
    Hey, at least give him some credit for posting something non-political for once.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12