Thread: rough cork

rough cork

I have an older rod that the cork in the full grip handle is much more rough than my newer rods. What is the best way to either fix or cover up this issue? Do I lightly sand it? Cover it with a Winn-style wrap? I don't want to lose sensitivity since this is a bottom contact rod.

2. Member
    Grind up some cork really fine, mix it in wood glue and fill the holes smooth with it

Mudhole or Janns Netcraft has Rod Builder’s cork filler. I’ve used it on 2-3 older rods works exceptionally well and stays put.
    Once filled you just lightly sand the handle until it’s the smoothness you like. I always reseal with U-40 cork sealer.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Home Depot/Lowes - Golden Oak Elmers Wood Filler. Clean, Fill, Sand with 220. Go fish.

5. Member
    Reverse the rod in an open back chair, sit on it with the rod wrapped tight with a towel and handle in front of you and turn as you go, sand the handle with 220 like you are shining a shoe. Works great.

6. Member
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll try the wood filler first, since I think I have some of that already at home.

Exactly what i do, works great
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Home Depot/Lowes - Golden Oak Elmers Wood Filler. Clean, Fill, Sand with 220. Go fish.