Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    That truck should have been a buyback with the third radiator.
    That would have given you a clean slate, or close to it. cj

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    You definitely have a reason to be bitter. That would have been a Lemon Law buyback in Oklahoma. I guess NC laws are different.
    . I guess they are because I attempted the “Lemon Law”, it was refused because it had to be three of the EXACT same things. Yes, I have three radiator failures, but that truck had seven radiators and it was a different radiator each time. There were also many other issues with my Power Joke but it was the final time with the radiators that drove the nail in the coffin for me. Now with all that said, I can honestly say that if it hadn’t been for that horrible experience I would have never purchased my Chevy 2500 6.0l. Before that, I had never owned one before. I have owned my 2500 for nine years now, nearly 160k miles and I can say that I have never used a truck harder and there just is no quit in it. There are still years left and miles and miles left in it. I will close with this, if tomorrow my motor was to blow, I would not hesitate in the least to purchase a new crate motor and stuff it in. It is just that good of a truck.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Diesels aren't what they used to be......maintenance and upkeep + the lack of power they used to have keeps me in gas........
    Have your head in the sand I guess. Dodge has 1000 foot pounds of torque!

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Somewhat overkill maybe...but wasted? Not in my opinion. My rig is pushing 5k lbs with boat, motor, trailer, gas, and gear. I've towed it with a gas Tahoe...did the job, but not great at all, and scary trying to stop quickly. I've towed other rigs lighter than my Ranger with gas 1/2 tons...locked out of over drive and turning high RPMs all the time, don't even think about cruise control..adequate I guess, but not good by anty measure...as I said earlier it boils down to personal preference and the money involved. I like to be able to set the cruise on 75 and not worry about downshifts or being able to stop. So to me, its not wasted at all..its great performance from an amazing truck. So Bruce...what are you towing with?
    Overkill and wasted are pretty much the same thing.

I currently tow with a 2018 GMC with a 5.3 with 3.42s. It replaced a 2008 with the 5.3 and 3.73s. Both pull my boat with authority. Actually pulled away from a Cummings Ram in the 2008 while towing. The suspension of the 2018 is barely affected by the boat. It is very capable. As to stopping, it is fine but I leave more room when towing and pay attention far ahead of me. Yes, someone can pull out in front of me but that can happen even when not towing. I’ve never felt the need for more braking or a more capable suspension with my 1/2 tons. I set the cruise on 80 in both and while I do engage the tow/haul mode that does not lock out OD. It does change shift points.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    I used to do be an Ambulance tech , the diesel motor ambulances could drive away from the 10cyl gas motor trucks power is not close , but the upkeep was the other way , the cost to keep the diesel motor going was 10 times the gas motor , just changing the belts and pullys , egr service , 16 qts oil , fuel filters, forget about if you need to replace an egr cooler , diesel injectors were common to go ... the gas motor was oil changes, 9lugs at 100k a belt and tentioner that was easy to do .... my opinion would be go diesel if you want power if you want to spend waaay less gas .. btw talking Fords
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Most guys poo pooing diesels havent owned one and are justifying why they went gas as opposed to actually being able to compare the two. Maintenance on a diesel is minimally more expensive than gassers when it comes to wear items. When shtf on a diesel yes, you better have deep pockets as injectors and injection pumps arent cheap. That being said EVERY vehicle ever made has its ups and downs and they all can break down. Emissions are hindering the new diesels reliability and overall ability to make power, but that hsnt stopped the big three from making trucks with 1000ft/lbs of torque that will go to 250k miles. Go drive both and lay into them, buy whichever puts the bigger smile on your face.
    Last edited by alpine4x4; 01-22-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

6. Member
    What he said— I’ve had several of both and diesel kicks ass. Drive them and compare

7. Member
    Came out of a gas F250 into a Sierra 1500...I definitely dont miss the F250....that being said, had the F250 been a diesel...I would have never traded it....the gas 3/4 ton doesn't have the power and the fuel mileage was horrible....if I ever have another 3/4 ton...it will be a diesel.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Lane View Post
    Diesel fuel around here $3.oo a gallon. I paid a $1.80 for gas this morning. I wouldn’t buy a bassboat with a Diesel engine either.
    Diesel here is 2.59 and gas is 2.04. The price differences and mileage difference between pulling with my gas and my diesel now the diesel is cheaper to run. When not towing they got about the same so the gas won. If the price between gas and diesel gets greater than about 35% than the diesel becomes more exspensive for me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    That truck should have been a buyback with the third radiator.
    That would have given you a clean slate, or close to it. cj

. I guess they are because I attempted the “Lemon Law”, it was refused because it had to be three of the EXACT same things. Yes, I have three radiator failures, but that truck had seven radiators and it was a different radiator each time. There were also many other issues with my Power Joke but it was the final time with the radiators that drove the nail in the coffin for me. Now with all that said, I can honestly say that if it hadn’t been for that horrible experience I would have never purchased my Chevy 2500 6.0l. Before that, I had never owned one before. I have owned my 2500 for nine years now, nearly 160k miles and I can say that I have never used a truck harder and there just is no quit in it. There are still years left and miles and miles left in it. I will close with this, if tomorrow my motor was to blow, I would not hesitate in the least to purchase a new crate motor and stuff it in. It is just that good of a truck.
    I would have contacted Ford corporate and if the arbitration did not work, legal advise would be next. The radiator is the same problem, just because it was a new part doesn't matter. It was the same issue rendering the vehicle unusable. Funny I had a gm 2500 with a 6.0 and that was why I went to Ford. 13 mpg on the highway 7-8 pulling my boat. 2 exhaust systems, a steering shaft, wheel bearing, transfer case and the last straw was not being able to carry a lightweight plow without changing front torsion bars. More squeeks and rattles than anything I have ever owned. All in under 30k. Was a long time gm guy with 5 new trucks until the last 2, quality went down the tubes. Anyway they all make good one and bad ones, some just more than others. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    I recently bought a diesel 2012 GMC 2500 Denali. It’s been professionally deleted and tuned. If I’m nice I get 20-21.5mpg empty. 16.5mpg towing my bass boat and 11.7-13.5 towing my 42ft 5th wheel depending on the terrain. Very happy compared to my gas trucks.

11. Member
    I have the chance at getting a GMC 1500 6.2 gas. Miles are somewhat low and I believe it's a 3.42. Looking to replace my 06 silverado 5.3. You think its worth spending the extra bucks on the extended warranty from GM or a 3rd party ?

12. Member
    Each time I see threads like this I wonder how many of those with opinions against diesel have actually owned one. OP if you have the funding and want one by all means go get it. My wife an I both drive diesels and I don't think you could pay her to drive anything else. The feeling of security and safety for her and the kids (perhaps perceived) and the power to do anything she wants is big. Both are Cummins, mine is deleted and an absolute joy to drive. All of these trucks - gas or diesel -are coming with ridiculous sticker prices these days and given the entry fee I'm not sure an extra $75 in filters per year should factor into the purchase equation. Get what you want but don't worry at all about the longevity of a diesel motor.

I had 4 half ton gas GM's trucks before getting my current diesel. I can't see ever going back to gas.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234