Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ken Braun

Gas or Diesel on a 250 or 2500.

Looking at a F250 or a 2500 Gmc Gas or Diesel. i just tow my boat and a side by side sometimes really not to often. Could be my last truck. Opinions? Thanks

2. Member
    Diesel if you tow often and heavy, otherwise gas is just fine and will more than get the job done. But it is your money, so buy what you want!!

3. Member
    95% of the people with diesels (or anything larger than a 1/2 ton for that matter) don't need it. However....I have a 3/4ton diesel. They are fun

Diesel needs to be used. Its not made to sit. I have an 03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L gas engine. Its fine for pulling my bass boat. I hauled my father in laws El Camino back from California over Cajon pass and have towed their 24' deck boat plenty. Its got power.... But if I was gonna be hauling heavy stuff regularly I would definitely opt for the diesel engine. My truck is lucky to get 13 or 14 on the highway. Gets 11 towing my little Champion or anything else.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Ken Braun
    Like I said might be last one .Resale value, Gas price. Setup down the road after retire in a yr. Gas milage really is not a factor I think is a wash. I hear how expensive it is to maintain? Is it worth the extra 8 grand plus maintenance?
    ce

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Braun View Post
    Like I said might be last one .Resale value, Gas price. Setup down the road after retire in a yr. Gas milage really is not a factor I think is a wash. I hear how expensive it is to maintain? Is it worth the extra 8 grand plus maintenance?
    ce
    It was for me.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    95% of the people with diesels (or anything larger than a 1/2 ton for that matter) don't need it. However....I have a 3/4ton diesel. They are fun
    Yep. My Explorer tows the boat just fine, but my 1-ton is just damn cool.

8. Member
    I have a F250 Diesel and love it. The gas version has more than enough power to tow and if you aren't towing lot I would go gas. The big difference in fuel cost for gas vs diesel makes it a lot cheaper to operate even with the lower fuel mileage of a gas engine. Diesel here is .70 more a gallon.

9. Member
    A modern half ton will do what you describe. That being said you don't need a diesel to tow a side by side or a bass boat. Unless you are towing really heavy loads you are buying something to be cool. That's not an issue if you can afford it. Diesel fuel is more expensive and since the EPA stepped in there isn't a huge difference in MPG. Both Ford's 6.2 and GM's 6.0 have been long proven reliable. Go drive both and buy which ever you like better.

10. Member
    Avery I had a 1997 3500 Silverado with a 5.7 snd 4.10 rear end. I bought it brand new, one of a few trucks I have kept for five years or better. It was a single axle. Even the good old supposedly reliable Chebby had it's issues. I changed out the stock 10 ply tires real quick. Unless you have a load in one they literally ride like a log wagon. With a load they are great. The brakes etc...are heavy duty, but they also cost more to get worked on. That truck got 10 or 11 MPG loaded, un loaded, pulling or not.

If you were hauling a good sized in bed RV then a diesel dually would be the ticket.

I've driven a diesel for 16 years. I like the extra power and torque...and the stopping power of the bigger brakes. I also just like the size of a 3/4 ton truck. My 17 Kingranch F250 rides very well. Closest thing to a luxury vehicle in a truck that I've ever driven, right down to the massaging heated/cooled seats. Cons are price of a loaded diesel and parking the thing in teeny modern parking spots.

It boils down to personal preference and money.
    Last edited by dean c; 01-21-2019 at 11:27 AM.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    It sounds like You have no reason for a diesel. If it’s your last truck, resale value means nothing. Fuel prices will fluctuate as they always do...you don’t get a 3/4 ton for gas mileage anyway. The suspension/brakes/frame will make you feel very safe, huge interior, but you’re a perfect candidate for a gas powered 3/4 ton!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Ken Braun
    Has any body regreted buying the diesel and wish they would of bought gas that use is similar to mine. Not towing a whole lot.

Has any body regreted buying the diesel and wish they would of bought gas that use is similar to mine. Not towing a whole lot.
    I don't see how that's possible unless someone just regretted spending the money.

15. Member
    I have a 2017 duramax, that i tow a 36 th fith wheel with. We dont camp alot but knowing it is there is a good feeling for me. Also tow a bass boat but have no regrets in getting a diesel.

16. Banned

I used to tow a lot more than I do now, about the most I pull now weighs less than 8k lbs so I could go back to gas. I won’t though since mines been paid off for years. The biggest drawback to current diesels is the emissions stuff, too many sensors now and everything is ridiculous to fix on them. I have a sensor going out in my def tank and they say it’s $1200 to fix that single sensor, that’s kind of stupid. The regeneration can also cause havoc if you don’t drive fairly long distances on a regular occasion.

If you have money to burn and love max power, then buy the diesel. If you’re a man that keeps a tight budget, get the gas.

ce
    If your trying to find justification for having either to pull a bass boat, you can’t. A half ton is more than capable. 3/4 ton is only needed if you want to tow much heavier stuff. No, if you just want a bigger truck because it is fun, then just go for it. Your retiring so “I want it” is enough justification in my book.

If you want something that’s not just another 1500, go for a GM with the 6.2 and the max trailering package. I think that gives you almost 12k towing and a lot of smiles per gallon under the right foot.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I don't see how that's possible unless someone just regretted spending the money.
    Money and the fact that it is wasted on pulling a bass boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    My vote is gas. I mostly use my truck for transportation, pulling my boat and a few tons of gravel a year. My commute to work is only 2 miles. The gas is cheaper and I think less costly maintenance. If I pulled a 5th wheel or a heavy load often I might give the diesel a try.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post

I did Snoopy dances in the parking lot when I dumped my 2009 RAM Cummins on a new 2016 1500 RAM Hemi. I loved my 2003 but the EGR system on the 2009 was a complete and total disaster (financial that is). It was like daily entertainment to see what new warning alarm would come up on the overhead console screen (aka the cash resister). I'll never own another diesel!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast