Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Braun View Post
    Has any body regreted buying the diesel and wish they would of bought gas that use is similar to mine. Not towing a whole lot.
    I bought a 2500 Chevy Duramax. I pull a 19' bassboat, 28' camper, 16' utilty trailer. Would a gas engine work? Yes. I wanted a diesel and that's what I bought. So far I love it. Its a 2016 model with 35,000 miles on it. Maintaining the beast isn't all to bad. Fuel is a little more expensive. Don't let the Debbie Downers influence you. If you can afford it, go for it.
    "Montani semper liberi"

Any of the big 3’s diesel motors are going to cost you a minimum of $8500 just for the motor. Diesel fuel has been stupidly more expensive than gasoline for at least the last 11 years. Maintenance on that diesel is overall more expensive than on the gas motor. I could go on but I think you get the point. I had a F350 6.4l Power Joke and I went to a 2500 6.0l gas, here is how I see it... I can buy a whole lot of gasoline for $8500 and the best part for me is that I get better fuel economy when pulling or when not pulling with my gas motor than I ever did with my diesel. Just my opinion, my experience and my .02. Good luck with your decision, tight lines!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

3. Member
    I have both. the gas ranger is nice for in town and tows very well. But the diesel just puts a smile on your face everytime you push the accelerator - towing or not.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    95% of the people with diesels (or anything larger than a 1/2 ton for that matter) don't need it. However....I have a 3/4ton diesel. They are fun
    ....and 85% with 1/2 tons don't need it. They need to make a 1/4 ton for many of us.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    So I was in a similar situation as you. I wanted a bigger truck as I needed something with a 6.5 foot bed and wanted a crew cab. I pull my fifth wheel about 4 times a year and with my f150 just wasn’t quite comfortable with the 5.5 foot bed. I always wanted a diesel just because. My wife told me not to compromise as I almost got a ram 2500 with the 6.4. She said you want a diesel so wait till you find the right one. I was looking used not new due to price. I ended up getting a Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins diesel. They are priced like a new f150 but feel more like a 3/4 ton. Bigger brakes, frame, everything but spec out closer to a 1/2 ton on tow ratings. The XD has the built in gooseneck like I needed as well. So far I average around 20 mpg dry and got 9.7 pulling my 8800 lb fifth wheel at 70. Haven’t pulled the boat with it yet but I will say that Even though the other big three half tons can spec out close to the Titan XD the max load on the Titan feels much safer and underloaded vs feeling like your at the max. Plus I really like the 100 mile bumper to bumper warranty for 5 years.
    Last edited by ksubasser24; 01-21-2019 at 02:32 PM.

6. Banned
    Agreed f150 rides way better than f250....better on gas tows better with the 3.5 eco......etc etc

7. Member
    It boils down to which you actually want. The diesel is going to cost more in maintenance, its going to cost significantly more to fix when (notice I didn't say if here) something fails, especially in the DEF/SCR system. Replacing those parts comes with exorbitant costs. The fuel system on modern diesels are also problematic at times, and very costly to repair. As an example, the 2011-2016 Duramax (LML) uses a CP4 high pressure injection pump. These have been known to fail, especially on trucks that the owner has not added a lift pump to, as the stock truck has no lift pump. It uses the CP4 to suck fuel from the fuel tank to the engine where a traditional setup has a fuel pump (lift pump) pushing fuel. As you know, a pump is much better at pushing material than sucking material. When the CP4 fails, it usually fills the fuel system, injectors, etc with metal shavings. This requires replacement of all these components. If not under warranty, parts and labor you could be looking at upwards of 10k for this repair. The 2011+ Power Strokes have this issue as well, just not as common because it uses the slightly upgraded CP4.2 pump.

Anyway, I digress. I just wanted to shed a little light on this situation and give some context. With all this being said, I pull my bass boat and enclosed trailer (8k lbs ish with RZR inside) with a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. A gas truck would do what I needed it to do, just has a harder time doing it. The first thing I did when I purchased my truck, which was out of warranty, was delete the entire emissions system and put a good tune on the truck. Any of the diesels benefit from getting rid off all the emissions stuff in many ways, particularly the EGR, especially if the truck is out of warranty. The truck runs better, gets better fuel economy, and you don't have the possibility of the DEF/SCR system failing over your head all the time.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

8. Member
    Diesel if you care at all about your resale value.

9. Member
    A buddy of mine test drove a gas f250. He loved it! When you factor maintenance and fuel cost plus additives. There is no reason for a diesel unless you pull heavy. New gas engines go 250k without issues. Give both a test drive. Do the math for your towing activity.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    the fact that it is wasted on pulling a bass boat.
    Somewhat overkill maybe...but wasted? Not in my opinion. My rig is pushing 5k lbs with boat, motor, trailer, gas, and gear. I've towed it with a gas Tahoe...did the job, but not great at all, and scary trying to stop quickly. I've towed other rigs lighter than my Ranger with gas 1/2 tons...locked out of over drive and turning high RPMs all the time, don't even think about cruise control..adequate I guess, but not good by anty measure...as I said earlier it boils down to personal preference and the money involved. I like to be able to set the cruise on 75 and not worry about downshifts or being able to stop. So to me, its not wasted at all..its great performance from an amazing truck. So Bruce...what are you towing with?

11. Member
    Gas ... everything is cheaper - vehicle, maintenance, insurance, fuel, etc.
    Diesel vehicles are good for extremely high annual mileage and/or towing.
    You specified light occasional towing, no reason at all for a diesel, none.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Braun View Post
    Has any body regreted buying the diesel and wish they would of bought gas that use is similar to mine. Not towing a whole lot.
    No man anywhere has ever regretted buying a diesel. Go drive one and buy it if you like it. All of the people that are telling you they are overkill are running around in their 20 foot boats with 250s on them when they could he fishing out of a tracker with a 25 horse motor because they really dont need all that power.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    No man anywhere has ever regretted buying a diesel. Go drive one and buy it if you like it. All of the people that are telling you they are overkill are running around in their 20 foot boats with 250s on them when they could he fishing out of a tracker with a 25 horse motor because they really dont need all that power.
    And here guys, is our WINNER!!

14. Member
    Actually, I have an 18' aluminum boat with a 115.

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Diesels aren't what they used to be......maintenance and upkeep + the lack of power they used to have keeps me in gas.....I'm like you, I don't tow enough, long enough to warrant a diesel.....I drive 20 miles a day to work and back and tow my rig maybe once a week.......My gasser does the job.....CHEAPER. And this is probably my last truck.....love my King Ranch.....

No man anywhere has ever regretted buying a diesel.
    It was the worst $67,000 mistake I ever made.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    AND I stand vindicated....

Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    I did Snoopy dances in the parking lot when I dumped my 2009 RAM Cummins on a new 2016 1500 RAM Hemi. I loved my 2003 but the EGR system on the 2009 was a complete and total disaster (financial that is). It was like daily entertainment to see what new warning alarm would come up on the overhead console screen (aka the cash resister). I'll never own another diesel!
    Understand...I wouldn't touch a Chrysler product of any kind.

19. Member
    Depends how long you plan to keep it and what you tow. DIESELS FOR ME. Have Two ford diesels. One with 275,00 and one with well over 400,000 . Both run and drive like new. No downshifting on steep inclines ( unless you put it to the floor). Plenty of mass to stop heavy loads quickly. Neither truck purchased new. I’ve well got my moneys worth and then some. You don’t have to have a diesel to tow a bass rig , but the lack of fuel mileage loss on a diesel is noticeable. Very noticeable. Take care of a diesel truck and it will take care of you. For a very long time.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Diesels aren't what they used to be......maintenance and upkeep + the lack of power they used to have keeps me in gas.....I'm like you, I don't tow enough, long enough to warrant a diesel.....I drive 20 miles a day to work and back and tow my rig maybe once a week.......My gasser does the job.....CHEAPER. And this is probably my last truck.....love my King Ranch.....
    I don't doubt your gasser takes care of your needs cheaper, BUT lack of power in diesels since about 2000 versus any gas engine is just not true.

Don't know what happened to you, but you're one of the very few who would say that. Nearly every diesel owner I know, buys another.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast