Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL question from a non-NFL fan

If instant replay is in place to make sure that calls are correct, then why can they not be used for missed or bad calls? Seems like it is only fair, that an official should not be the reason one team wins or looses a game.
    Seems to me that in most sports that have gone to the instant replay the officials are getting more and more calls "wrong".

Currently the way the rules are written it's not reviewable. Rules can only be amended once a year during the off season from what I read on it.

3. Member
    Not all plays are reviewable. Judgment calls cannot he reviewed although IMO the catch vs no catch review dances on the edge of a judgement call these days.

I sometimes think more stuff should be reviewed but understand that if they did so the flow of the game would be ruined and that is the reason that they do not go there. Refs are human. They mess up sometimes. Sometimes it screws your team sometimes it helps your teams unjustly.

Thats why I don't care about sports anymore, watched the game little bit and saw that call, it's 2019 and they still can't get it right. Actually I hardly can stand to watch any fishing show with there " big ums", ever fish on MLF is a gig um.Click.

Next year pass interference will be reviewable.. I would bet on it

Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Thats why I don't care about sports anymore, watched the game little bit and saw that call, it's 2019 and they still can't get it right. Actually I hardly can stand to watch any fishing show with there " big ums", ever fish on MLF is a gig um.Click.
    Wow what are the odds.. you tuned in for the bad call !!!

but problems in sports is a Big Screen TVs and Crystal Clear Video...

8. Member
    Instant replay already ruined MLB. I see no reason to take the human factor out of human activities. However now that the major sports have embraced gambling this was inevitable.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

The non-call at the end of the Saints-Rams game will bring some attention to the need for instant replay. At least in playoff games. Hey, the Rams won. Congratulations to them. But, how two flagrant fouls were completely missed in a game of that magnitude is beyond me.
    Oh well. It's the Pats and the Rams in the SB. Think I'll go fishing. As long as I'm home for the halftime show. Maroon 5 rocks.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The non-call at the end of the Saints-Rams game will bring some attention to the need for instant replay. At least in playoff games. Hey, the Rams won. Congratulations to them. But, how two flagrant fouls were completely missed in a game of that magnitude is beyond me.
    Oh well. It's the Pats and the Rams in the SB. Think I'll go fishing. As long as I'm home for the halftime show. Maroon 5 rocks.
    I think Gladys Knight singing the anthem will beat the 5 Morons.

If they start reviewing every pass play to look for interference, games are gonna be pretty long..

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Yes I agree and I believe it will reduce the penalties enforced , its getting stupid now esp in college ball .

12. Member
    i hope we dont go that route. Maybe a few more refs on the field? not sure. There will always be calls missed or wrong based on your team. Just part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Instant replay already ruined MLB. I see no reason to take the human factor out of human activities. However now that the major sports have embraced gambling this was inevitable.
    Stepping off the rubber, batters stepping out of the box, pitchers throwing to first, changing pitchers more than once in an inning, mound conferences has ruined baseball for me. The pace is BRUTAL!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    but problems in sports is a Big Screen TVs and Crystal Clear Video...
    You did not need a big screen and crystal clear video to see that. Saints got robbed.

15. Banned
    The problem is if there are no limits on what you can review, it would take 8 hours to play a game. Literally. They have to draw the lines somewhere and beyond that you just have to hope the refs get it right.

I do hope they add pass interference next year though. It’s the most game changing penalty in the game, so it would be worth slowing the game down a little for that.

16. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Making pass interference reviewable would have done nothing for that play, it was not called. You would have to allow challenges for a play which nothing was called. That is a whole new can of worms.....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    If that’s true lots of receivers are going to be upset because everyone of them uses a stiff arm or pushes off when the ball is in the air to gain separation and it’s never called. They need to call it both ways and they never do.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    The problem is if there are no limits on what you can review, it would take 8 hours to play a game. Literally. They have to draw the lines somewhere and beyond that you just have to hope the refs get it right.

I do hope they add pass interference next year though. It’s the most game changing penalty in the game, so it would be worth slowing the game down a little for that.
    Agree with you. Maybe it also needs to be a lesser penalty like 5 or 10 yards and a first down instead of a spot foul in some cases.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Agree with you. Maybe it also needs to be a lesser penalty like 5 or 10 yards and a first down instead of a spot foul in some cases.
    I think college football penalty is what it Should be. 15 yards and automatic first down. That’s pretty stiff, but doesn’t necessarily completely change the game.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    i hope we dont go that route. Maybe a few more refs on the field? not sure. There will always be calls missed or wrong based on your team. Just part of the game.
    Thank youIm sure this isn't the first nor will it be the last. Still plays would have had to be executed after-the-fact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast