1995 Javelin 387 transducer location?

Recently purchased a 1995 387A. Was looking for ideas on the best location for installing a Lowrance total scan transducer.
    The boat has two steps as seen below. The lower step where the drain plug is does not have the room to mount.
    The second step would fit but would have to be pretty close to the gear case.
    Anyone see an issue mounting it where the old small transducer is located on the transom? It is about 12" from the center.
    Will that spot work ok with the side scan? 2d on plane?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I have a 96 379SE which looks identical to the back of your boat. I am trying to do the same, with a Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV sideview transducer. The only other place I am considering is between the livewell intake and the bunk, to try and get the transducer to the lowest level. It would be very tight, and I have not verified that it will fit there, but that is the only other spot I can see but where yours shows the current mounting. I can't believe we would get much of a reading on plane at that current location. I am hoping others have input for you.

Bardcard

My 'Bird xducer is mounted in roughly the same location. Side scan will work fine, but will be useless on plane. I've got a 2D xducer in the bilge for use on plane. Not sure if the Lowrance offers that option.

Generally you'll want the side scan xducer out of the water on plane to prevent damage and from creating water issues with your lower unit.

4. Member
    My 98 273 looks pretty similar, and have been looking to mount my SS xducer too. The consensus is that you're not going to get it to read above 6-8mph. Where your smaller xducer is in the picture is about where I'm going.

5. Banned
    I had a plate on my 367, and the sidescan mounted to the bottom of that, and a 2d puck in the bilge for shoot thru. It was the easiest and least amount of holes in the transom.

I have yet to see any type transducer not lose a reading at full speed when your up on the pad. Most people mount a traditional 2d transducer in the bilge area because it will read "most" of the time when on plane. However if you have a side scan or high definition transducer mounting it in the bilge is out of the question so you must transom mount. I have found the best option is on the jackplate. The best place on the jack plate is under the jack plate but this is only an option if you have a holeshot plate. Some call it a skid plate and TH Marine calls it a hot shot plate so it has many "names". It it is a plate that goes in the opening under your jackplate and it closes the large hole. It's function prevents the jack plate from acting like a big scoop. Some say it helps with hole shot a small amount but another advantage is it will help prevent water from rushing onto the back deck. "Some" boats when they come off plane scoop up a bunch of water in the opening of the jack plate. Sometimes it's enough the water is pushed through the top of the jackplate and ends up getting the back deck wet. If you do not have the plate on your jackplate then some people fabricate a plate and mount it on the side of the jack plate but they make sure its lower than the jack plate because side scan has to have a clear view. Now if you do not have a jack plate then you have to transom mount. If that is the case then chose what looks like the best spot and keep in mind it needs to have a clear shot down and to both sides but as I mentioned earlier I have yet to see any transducer mounted on the outside of the boat read while at speed.