175 TXW Re Power

I am looking to repower my 2010 175 TXW this spring. I am running the original Mercury 2 stroke 50hp and want to down size the motor to 20hp. This will give me more options to the restricted hp. lakes I could fish. I can hang any brand motor of the back and wanted to field opinions. I could stay with Mercury, or switch to Evinrude, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Honda, ect. Looking for feedback. Thanks.

2. Member
    I would probably stick to a Merc unless you want to change out controls as well. If you don't care about changing out controls, I'd go with Honda. They are nearly bulletproof.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

3. Member
    By staying with Merc you can use your existing controls which will save you somewhere in the 6-700 range in parts alone. It will also save on labor $$$ to swap.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

4. #FRB
    Changing out controls can be a royal PITA when it comes to fitment. I'd stick with Merc. All the outboards out now are pretty reliable. Now if money were no object I'd go Honda.

Just thought of something...if the linkage has the same throw you might be able to use your Merc controls with a different brand if you get a conversion kit. I know Merc and Yamaha v6 motors had the same throw in the mid 90's anyway. Not sure how things are now.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.