Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Use the i-Pilot Link as a GPS and Boat Heading source for HELIX or SOLIX

I must have been out to lunch. I never heard about an ipilot link update for bluetooth units. Is dated 12/22/2018. Has anyone tried to use the link's heading sensor on Helix or Solix? Bob

No I don't use or connect the LINK enough to mess with it. I may later on after Winter leaves.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for that notice Bob. I have it loaded but haven't tested it on water yet...maybe a little later this week. It did show up as a GPS source named iPilot Link under the GPS Network tab but still need to try it on the water.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    This may be great. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on buying a heading sensor for my front mounted Helix. Never made sense that Helix could not uses the Ultrex heading sensor.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

5. Member
    I would sure like to see spec's on the gps but almost all now are pretty good. You can't get much closer to the transducer with a bow gps. I already have a gps hs in the back but maybe the bluetooth will serve as a backup. The instructions show the software also works with Onix so I should be able to use the gps. My Onix gps croaked and this will save a trip to HB and $441. As long as it shows on the network it should be good to go. Too cold here for me to go out. Bob

6. Member
    Very, very interesting.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    Is there someplace that shows what each software update does? Look on Minn Kota sight and doesn't give any information.

I'm wondering if this update can allow use of the TM GPS and Heading sensor in place of the HB 360 GPS/Heading Sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Is there someplace that shows what each software update does? Look on Minn Kota sight and doesn't give any information.

I'm wondering if this update can allow use of the TM GPS and Heading sensor in place of the HB 360 GPS/Heading Sensor.
    https://www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Thanks, I was looking on Minn Kota website.

10. Member
    I can verify this works. Took my boat out today after updating the Ultrex. Now there is an option in network menu to select IPilot Link as GPS/Heading Sensor source. I selected it and it kept my heading showing even when sitting still on spot-lock. Now I do not have to buy a second heading sensor just for the bow unit.
    Last edited by cconn; 01-24-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

11. Member
    Tried this update on the water today and seemed to work fine. Couldn't check alignment because of 25mph winds but no more donuts for me...LOL Guess I don't need that AS GPS HS receiver now. It shows up under the Network GPS tab as a source. I'm assuming it will only work with units compatible with the Bluetooth TMs as it didn't work on the old 998 model. Only xx9/xxx9 models and newer received the update for Bluetooth compatibility with the new TMs.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Tried this update on the water today and seemed to work fine. Couldn't check alignment because of 25mph winds but no more donuts for me...LOL Guess I don't need that AS GPS HS receiver now. It shows up under the Network GPS tab as a source. I'm assuming it will only work with units compatible with the Bluetooth TMs as it didn't work on the old 998 model. Only xx9/xxx9 models and newer received the update for Bluetooth compatibility with the new TMs.
    Does it just use the heading sensor but keep the GPS from the source you previously used? Wonder if it would work for a heading sensor you could share globally with the core units but not share GPS ... not being able to share independently has always been a shortcoming in the core units.
    Wonder if it can be used even if there is no Bluetooth trollng motor.... just with the I-pilot link and bluetooth HS?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Does it just use the heading sensor but keep the GPS from the source you previously used? Wonder if it would work for a heading sensor you could share globally with the core units but not share GPS ... not being able to share independently has always been a shortcoming in the core units.
    Wonder if it can be used even if there is no Bluetooth trollng motor.... just with the I-pilot link and bluetooth HS?
    Kinda wondering the same thing. Since the ultrex puck is ONLY a heading sensor, I'm guessing the gps info is coming directly from the head of the trolling motor since the ipilot link is the source. I'm betting sharing the heading and gps info independently is still only a solix/onix feature.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

14. Banned
    As someone that deals with multiple bluetooth devices on a daily basis, keep the wired hs too

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    I'm using Gen1 Helix 10 and 12 models so it only shows up as a GPS source under networking tab. I am able to select it as a source on multiple units but can't separately select heading from GPS which maybe the Solix models can.

Currently I doubt the heading sensor could be used separately without a Bluetooth TM as a heading source. Don't know why it couldn't be possible to use it as just heading source with a Bluetooth capable FF and maybe some software updates.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    As someone that deals with multiple bluetooth devices on a daily basis, keep the wired hs too
    Didn't have one to keep...LOL But I do understand the point...
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

I'm using Gen1 Helix 10 and 12 models so it only shows up as a GPS source under networking tab. I am able to select it as a source on multiple units but can't separately select heading from GPS which maybe the Solix models can.

Currently I doubt the heading sensor could be used separately without a Bluetooth TM as a heading source. Don't know why it couldn't be possible to use it as just heading source with a Bluetooth capable FF and maybe some software updates.
    Thanks .... I was thinking the Bluetooth device was just a heading sensor and not GPS also .... I have never been real clear about how that all works with the new trolling motors.

The Bluetooth puck is only heading. The gps is in the head of the trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    The Bluetooth puck is only heading. The gps is in the head of the trolling motor.
    That's what I thought .... So, it seems like they must be sharing the Bluetooth HS thru the trolling motor and taking both the GPS and HS... not directly from the Bluetooth HS?

20. Member
    Yes, that is correct...it is just a heading sensor but I believe the update allows both the TM GPS and heading sensor to be used like an external AS GPS HS receiver. Not sure on that but that's how I interpreted the description. Couldn't check accuracy or calibration very well because of the winds.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast