Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New trailer tires for 900 mile trip to FL Single axle

Radials or Tires? Not sure how long it has been since the tires were replaced. But it has proably been at least 5 years. I have owned the boat for 2 years. Want to get them replace for a possible trip to FL next month. Normal trips are between 30 feet and 5 miles. I have not towed this boat further than that. Going to have the bearings done as well.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

2. Member
    Radials or tires, explain question. Radial is a type of tire.

Right now, I think the best choice is the GoodYear Endurance

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Sorry it was supposed to say bias tires. I thought that most trailer tires were bias tires. I found a picture of the boat on the trailer and see that it has radials on there. My other boat had bias tires on its trailer. Boat is kept at the Lake about 125 miles from here.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    THIS^^^. DON'T buy any Chinese made crap trailer tires.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Here is something I suggest. You say you are having the bearings done. Using a good quality marine bearing grease is most important.
    If you go to an automotive shop I would take them a good marine grease to use. Automotive shops normally just have non marine regular bearing grease.
    I like the Lucas Marine grease but there are other good ones. I think more people have bearing trouble because of wrong grease than we realize.

7. Member
    Both radials and bias plys work fine on trailers.

I have radials on mine but I would not rule out a bias ply.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    +1 absolutely. I also used Lucas red grease

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    +1 absolutely. I also used Lucas red grease
    Consider the Lucas Marine Blue.......probably best out there.

10. Member
    I'm not trying to go off topic, but Lucas red n tacky is not the best Lucas product for boat trailer wheel bearings. 5keepers2 is correct about the blue. It is what I use. I had a seal leak once. The water that got into the bearings did not have much of an effect on the grease.

11. Member
    Tires are funny in that some one will like one brand over the other for some reason. I go through a ton of trailer tires. But then again I have a farm so lets say I buy a lot of tires of different types.

I just ordered new tires for the boat trailer for a couple of reasons. First the Good Year Marathons are at 5 years old. Second I have a few long trips planned.

I always repack bearing every year, except on the boat trailer since they are an oil bath.

I ordered four Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. They ran me $75 a tire and I know my buddy will charge me $20 to mount all four. If you lived by me i could get you the same price on the mounting maybe not the tires.

Are there better Tires? Well I have used all brands and one thing I will say I haven't found one brand to be much better than the other. However I have found a lot of difference with the driver and objects they hit or run over or what they will admit they hit.

12. Member
    I have to respectfully disagree about one tire brand being better than another. But if you are comparing one Chinese tire to another brand of Chinese tire you might be right. I have had two blowouts on my boat trailer caused by internal tread separation according to the tires manufacturer' Carlisle. Both times resulted in fender damage and both times Carlisle helped pay for the damage and gave me new tires. When the second failure happened my TPMS said the tire was running a little above 75 degrees and around 58 PSI which is well within the proper operating range. Carlisle is a standup company for sure for backing their tires. But their tires are made in China and in my experience they are of poor workmanship. I kept the third set on for a little over two weeks and 1200 miles until I got my boat back from my fishing trip. I replaced the free Carlisle tires with the Goodyear Endurance which I payed $107 a piece for. I was glad to get them off my boat trailer.

13. Member
    Could be will not disagree with what you are reporting. We blow out Goodyear Endurance and a lot of them. But we use our tires hard. Try running a pto shaft through a tire loaded with calcium, makes a mess. In any event I get far better pricing on the Endurance than you do. Our experience is the same between the Carlislie Radial Trail HD and Goodyear Endurance. We do run Goodyears on the big boys. But your paying a few thousand dollars for one tire then. On the jeeps we run Mastercraft, then switch to blizzak in the winter. You will like the Endurance, I have been lucky never lost a boat trailer tire to a blow out ever. My daughter has a BMW and I don't have a clue what they bring over to mount but they are freaking expensive run flats. Funny how I ended up buying tires for my adult kids.

I’ve been very happy with my Kumho 857’s..

Also, a lot of folks have spoke highly Of the Goodyear Endurance

Lastly, what size boat are you dragging and size tire you need?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

15. Member
    20 ft stratos. I will check with my buddy. He owns a auto repair place and sells a couple of hundred tires a year. He said he can get me whatever I want at his cost and have them mounted for me. He is also going on the trip, taking his boat as well.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

Where in Fl are you going?

17. Member
    [QUOTE=21XDC;9966930]Right now, I think the best choice is the GoodYear Endurance[/QUOTE
    I have had Goodyear Endurance on my single axle 519 for 3 seasons. They are by far the best tire I have had to date. They have the right ratings to handle a heavy rigs on a single axle. Probably change after this season. Made in USA stay away from the China bombs.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Could be will not disagree with what you are reporting. We blow out Goodyear Endurance and a lot of them. But we use our tires hard. Try running a pto shaft through a tire loaded with calcium, makes a mess. In any event I get far better pricing on the Endurance than you do. Our experience is the same between the Carlislie Radial Trail HD and Goodyear Endurance. We do run Goodyears on the big boys. But your paying a few thousand dollars for one tire then. On the jeeps we run Mastercraft, then switch to blizzak in the winter. You will like the Endurance, I have been lucky never lost a boat trailer tire to a blow out ever. My daughter has a BMW and I don't have a clue what they bring over to mount but they are freaking expensive run flats. Funny how I ended up buying tires for my adult kids.
    I would like to hear why you are blowing alot of them. As you are the first I have heard of blowing multiple tires that are not Chinese made. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

19. Member
    I had bad luck with Goodyear in the past and bought Maxis expecting better results. Tires were one year old and were properly inflated to 50 lbs. On my way to a tournament I felt a vibration and pulled over. The tread started separated and was about to pop. My next tournament 2 weeks later I had actually left on Friday afternoon to stay at a motel. About an hour into the trip on the interstate I felt a vibration, and thought- no way!! Pulled over and the same story, tread separation on a year old tire with proper air pressure.

Trailer tires need to be changed by age not tread wear. 3-4 years max the reason is that when you drive certain chemicals compounds get activated in the rubber which is why a car tire that gets driven everyday or so can be replaced by tread wear. A trailer tire sits idle most of the time which causes the rubber to deteriorate faster this is the info I got from a Goodyear trailer tire engineer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast