Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Carolina Rig. Who does it?

This is how I set up my Carolina Rig. What baits do you guys like to use? And What reel and rod setup?

I C-Rig often. I use the EZ rig that I make myself with a 1/2 oz tungsten barrel sinker. A Zoom Centipede is my favorite bait. But, a craw, lizard, or any plastic will work.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    15lb fluoro mainline with 14lb mono leader (2-4’ long depending on water temp.) with a barrel swivel and 1/2-3/4 oz lead egg sinker. No beads or clackers. I typically throw a baby brush hog. If I’m throwing something else on it, that’s not a good sign.

4. Banned
    2 1/2 tungsten w a bead in the middle , turd or brush hog , then 10-12' worm

5. Banned
    Tatula,ALX dragger, mono main line and mono leader. I just use those Carolina keepers. Doubled my catch rate and eliminated my break offs with lead and mono. Look up Mark Davis video on YouTube it is what got me to change.

6. Member
    There’s an interesting FLW article where Clark Wendlandt mentions he just uses double bobber stoppers instead of all the beads and junk, one knot too. Ive tried and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    There’s an interesting FLW article where Clark Wendlandt mentions he just uses double bobber stoppers instead of all the beads and junk, one knot too. Ive tried and it works well.
    I’ve tried that and it doesn’t work with me when using a heavy weight which I always do.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Yeah, that's similar to Carolina keepers. Change leader length easy too.

9. Member
    1/2 oz sinker Carolina keeper. 3/4oz or larger bead and swivel. Carolina Keeper sorks better on mono, slips easier on floro

10. Member
    I just keep it simple. I like mono for Carolina rigging. 6:4 BPS PQ, 17 lb mono, 7' Fenwick Fiber Rod, 2'-4' leader. Zoom Lizard or 4" E Green with red string double hook worm.

11. Member
    I also use the carolina keepers---if using weight heavier than 1/2 --use 2 keepers
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I’ve tried that and it doesn’t work with me when using a heavy weight which I always do.
    Worked for me using 1 oz weight at KY lake. Gotta double top and bottom.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I do as well. Not because I am in deep water but I want to cover a lot of water and a 1 oz sinker allows me to do that. I feel like I can read the bottom better as well.

Do you all use technique in the winter?
    Last edited by Big Orange Basser; 01-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.

14. #FRB
    For me it's 15-17lb flouro main and leader. High capacity baitcast reel. 1/2-1oz lead egg, big barrell swivel with a couple plastic beads, and 3/0 offset hook. Rod is a 7' 3" mh Black Omen. This rod is a heavy duty workhorse that slings heavy baits quite well. Bait is whatever the fish seem to want on that day.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member
    I always have one in the boat...it is usually at the ready and it gets used often

7'4 MH rod, 16# sniper, curado I 201hg. Lots of different plastics lol
    Last edited by ColdSVT; 01-20-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

16. Member
    One of my main ways to fish. I use a 7-6 heavy flipping stick,5500C3, 20lb. Big game with 15lb. BG leader 2 to 3ft. long. Use all kind of plastic, but 5in. Glamber paddle tail junebug worms works well — 11 1/4 lbs. biggest.

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    1/4 oz brass cylindrical weight (forget what it is called) with 6 1/2' med heavy rod, Old, round Abu Black Max reel..small not like the "C" reels...20lb main line, 14 lb leader. 1/0 Gammy round gap hook, believe it or not. Caught best LM 8 lb 15 oz on that. Also caught several nice smallies...same rig.

Various baits, but usually a Zoom curltail...it's very small. Works for me!!
    Last edited by Lea; 01-22-2019 at 02:13 PM.

I hate 3 things about the C-rig.
    1) What a pain it is to re-tie a lost one
    2) How easy the get caught up and lost in structure
    3) How well my buddies catch fish on them once I start throwing something else.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I hate 3 things about the C-rig.

3) How well my buddies catch fish on them once I start throwing something else.
    Insert any random technique and that's my luck once I quit throwing what my buddy is throwing. It's the most hilarious and frustrating thing ever!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I am more of a shallow fisherman and the fish are usually in thick weeds out deep, so I really don't ever use it on the natural lakes I fish. Only time I'd really ever use it would be to drag a tube or plastic on Lake Erie when it really gets rough. Maybe I'm overlooking a good technique, but it's definitely never rigged up in my rod locker.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast