2004 Johnson 90 stroke - Hole in lower mount bracket cover

Hey guys. Boats been running like a top recently after a fall season from hell. (replaced power pack, carb rebuild, new fuel lines, new engine wiring harness, etc)

Long story short, just got back in a little bit ago and was flushing and cleaning the motor and noticed that there is a "hole" or a gash in the lower mount bracket cover (PN: 0341910) Took off the cover, cleaned and inspected the cover and it doesn't appear to go all the way through but I am not 100% certain. Also, the rubber exhaust mount is pretty corroded. (PN: 434632)

I know I will have to replace both of these items but how "mission critical" are they? I would love to be able to wait a few months so that my wife won't kill me. Both parts are fairly expensive for what they are/do.

Thanks in advance.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number please..

3. Member
    EDIT: not sure why my pics aren't showing but if you click on the links they should come up. I can see them in my preview but not when I post.

Had this exact issue on my 2005 90hp Johnson two seasons ago. Those motor mounts corrode over time and it causes the engine to sag. I ended up not being able to shift my motor because it had sagged enough to cause the shift shaft to bind against the housing. The motor mounts also mushroom when they corrode, and that is what is making the aluminum motor mount cover crack - the mount has a stud that is being forced into the cover from the inside.

Before and after of my port side motor mount / casting cavity, and my repair on the motor mount cover with JB Weld and I painted it. It's held up well in the salt for two seasons now.

port side motor mount.jpg

port side motor mount cleaned out.jpg

new port mount in.jpg

starboard motor mount cover on.jpg

Dave
    Last edited by RI_Bred; 01-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.