Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I use the lithium Pros for several reasons.
    Weight savings, running a Honda. So I have better hole shot and less drafts. A
    Running power poles I have more room in the beige only 3 batteries for 36 volt trolling motor and cranking.
    Faster charging, sometimes the light turn green before I get the cover on the boat.

I have run them since 2012, several different sets, never had a fire. Know where all my old boats are and none have burned up!

2. Member
    I love my ReLion lithiums. However, I don't see the faster charge times some speak of. I have three 100ah batteries and literally get multiple trips out of them without charging, which is great when I travel. I don't have to charge every single night at the hotel. They are expensive though, but I did save a ton of weight taking out 3 large, heavy batteries and the battery charger. Certainly not for everyone.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

I'm moving to lithium because of a couple things. 1) weight savings - I'll save about 50lbs in the back of the boat which is nice for an aluminum rig. 2) better and stronger run time - I've killed my optima blue tops twice before in a day - they were a year old. Might be a fluke, but hoping to never run out. 3) Long run time - I went from 66ah to 100. Gonna be sweet. Here in NJ - most lakes are electric only and can kill batteries on "long runs" 4) Lifespan - 10 year warranty with the battery expected to retain 75-80% of its usable capacity at 3000 cycles.

Really quite amazing specs... We'll see if any of that is true!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I bought the Optima for my starting battery with the Blue top/gray bottom. It set up for awhile during building my lake house. I went to charge it and It acted like it went bad. I researched it and found out that these battery's will act like they are bad because certain types of chargers won't charge if the battery is below a certain voltage. They recommended hooking up a good battery to the optima with cables in series and then hook the battery charger up to the dead optima. This fools the charger to start charging the dead battery because it senses the voltage from the good battery. I did the procedure and it actually brought the battery back and it charges up fine now. They said, a lot of people quit using the battery because they thought it was bad. Just something to try before throwing your battery away.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

5. Banned
    Don’t know what you guys are thinking 750 $ for a battery?
    That is insane.
    J D

6. Member
    Don't forget about wear and tear on the trailer as well. Taking 100 pounds or better out of the boat nearly right above the axles takes pressure off your axle, trailer welds and especially tires.

7. mikesxpress

That's a new one!

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    That is insane.
    J D
    Its like 1% of the cost of a boat today

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

That's a new one!
    Referring to lighter boats and single axle trailers, surely not as big an issue on the tandems. My RT will lose 125 pounds not including the charger coming out too. It makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Its like 1% of the cost of a boat today
    Exactly, its nothing in the overall cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    That is insane.
    J D
    As already noted, it is a small cost compared to overall costs of a boat. Also, these batteries should last 10 years or more. The good AGM batteries are $350 and up and might last 5 years. In 10 years, I will be at least even and maybe slightly better off with my lithiums. In the mean time, I have a lot less weight in the boat, more room for other equipment and it makes for easier maintenance in the bilge. There is also, the slight performance advantages in hole shot and top speed and the longer full-power useage on my TM.

Lithiums are worth it for me and my budget.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

1/4 the weight, 3 mph faster boat, charges in an hour, and still test at 99.9% after using them 4 1/2 years, sounds like a game changer to me

13. Member
    there's some pros to running them and I did like them. Just not cost effective for me. Having $3000-$4000 wrapped up in batteries wasn't worth it to put them back in my rig. I do have a lithiumpro 36V charger and a onboard stealth charger I'm looking to get rid of. PM me if you are looking for one.
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

The main thing I looked at when I had a tin jet was the fact that the weight would allow me to drift shallower on the rivers I fished. My boat sat deep in the butt end, losing a person essentially, would allow the rear sit almost level with the front end.

Cost pushed them out of reach for me

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    there's some pros to running them and I did like them. Just not cost effective for me. Having $3000-$4000 wrapped up in batteries wasn't worth it to put them back in my rig. I do have a lithiumpro 36V charger and a onboard stealth charger I'm looking to get rid of. PM me if you are looking for one.
    Danny can have the charges changed to run regular batteries, keep you from buying a new charger.

16. Member
    The 36v stand alone charger (plug into 110 outlet) charged my trolling motor battery usually in 20-30 min. The stealth charger charges the trolling motor battery when the big motor is running. If i had went with Lithiums again id keep it but I'm tapping out of them.
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

I assume the 260 pound weight savings on a 36 volt boat ... if they truly last 10-15 years ... which we will know soon enough lead acid batteries and the rest will prolly be a thing of the past within 5 years or so,anyway and all vehicles will run them

18. Banned
    Like others have stated they’re great, but the price point is still just way out bang for your buck. Can you even get one for $500?? Once they get down to about $3-$400 then I might look at them. Until then. For me all that would really benefit me would be the weight. Not worth the $2500 price tag to save that

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Like others have stated they’re great, but the price point is still just way out bang for your buck. Can you even get one for $500?? Once they get down to about $3-$400 then I might look at them. Until then. For me all that would really benefit me would be the weight. Not worth the $2500 price tag to save that
    Straight from China they are under $500 each. Same battery, same cells, but less support and more difficult warranty replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Straight from China they are under $500 each. Same battery, same cells, but less support and more difficult warranty replacement.
    And potentially less QA done on them... quality?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast