Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Well you’re in the minority in regards to bass fisherman then. Lol. Hell most find out about new baits and techniques from the pros. Just tbe way it is.
    Out of curiosity, do you personally feel a mandate to go catch more, but smaller, fish because most of last year's "Elite" anglers joined a new tournament trail with a different format that may require more numbers of fish in order to win?

Originally Posted by RazorCat
    I can say with complete certainty that I've never, not once, gone out and bought "the hot new bait", or gotten way from what works for me because of what the MLF, or BASS, or FLW Pros are using at the moment. And there's nothing wrong catching one pounders.
    They fillet up better than a 8-9 pounder. You have to trim too much fat off the biguns.

Well you’re in the minority in regards to bass fisherman then. Lol. Hell most find out about new baits and techniques from the pros. Just tbe way it is.
    Guess I should have worded that a little differently. I don't go out and buy the "the hot new bait" until I see it in the Bargain Bin for 50%. I tweak my techniques some by watching and listening to the Pros at times. But, the "game changers" they're always touting after a big tournament or event are many time just another "new and improved" version of baits already on the market. Whether they're "improved" is subjective. Of course, lures that actually are something entirely new, improved, or revolutionary come along from time to time.
    But, I don't rush out and buy them based on a Pro's sales pitch of the flavor of the month lure.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Banned
    I think the question has some merit, the pros on MLF don’t really pimp their lure like the BASS & FLW guys do.

4. Member
    I think you will definitely see baits designed for numbers. Small spinnerbaits etc..

5. Member
    All bumpboards will be 0 to 16"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I think the question has some merit, the pros on MLF don’t really pimp their lure like the BASS & FLW guys do.
    The MLF series has been a tv focused championship series with no prior practice or even advance notice to where they were fishing. It has been going on a number of years and does not sem to have changed lure sales so far.

The BPT is the new Tour that will have pre practices and the anglers will have advance notice of where they will be fishing not to mention there will be a much higher number of anglers fishing to make the final days cut.

Since we have yet to see an actual BPT tour event in action so far it is a little premature to know exactly what and how this format will play out as far as the fishing is concerned.

7. Banned
    It'll have some effect. If a third of the guys considered the "top" anglers aren't trying to push the envelop of new techniques and lures, creativity will be stifled... That's why most new techniques and lures are developed by "pros". They're looking for a competitive edge. Most weekend warriors are reading about and then trying to imitate... Dan

I'm not worried or don't think it will change the lure industry. I just wonder how many out there are like me, in that, I don't give a Rats Azz about the MLF and most of the top guys going to it.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you personally feel a mandate to go catch more, but smaller, fish because most of last year's "Elite" anglers joined a new tournament trail with a different format that may require more numbers of fish in order to win?
    Hell no. I’m an offshore guy that likes to target better than average fish. Don’t always work out, but man I hate goin down the bank fishing for bank runners. In the spring when the bushes are flooded about the only exception.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I don't know about that, there was a big run on Rapala DT's in the 10-16 range after the tourney on Rayburn. Somebody wins an FLW or BASS tourney on a crankbait and there is almost always a run on those baits.
    Exactly. MLB will have little to no influence on lure sales. Not in the same ballpark ass BASS and FLW.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    All bumpboards will be 0 to 16"
    And every one has free ned rigs

I think everybody keeps forgetting that the new format will have a practice period. So it is possible kvd might be throwing 8 and 10xd's if he found something in practice. I don't see it having a major change on the tackle industry. Majority of the buyers are like sheep and will follow to whatever is being successfully pushed on TV.

Me and pops were talking about MLF, and the topic came up about how it might change the lure industry. Example KVD most likely won’t be throwing 8 and 10xd’s hoping for those couple big bites anymore. Will the swim bait guys still be chunking them knowing they might only get one bite?? I know the other two tours will still use them, but most of the current market guys on tv are on the MLF tour. Just wondering if you will see a shift in bait manufacturing or at least what is pushed more now that the guys will be fishing for more quantity instead of those couple quality bites. Thoughts?? I figured we needed another MLF thread. Lol
    I don't see things changing much because of the new tour, the BPT tour events are not the same as the MLF cup events in that there are practice days prior to the BPT events which will give those guys time to locate the quality fish before the first day of fishing just like BASS and FLW.
    I think you may even see some really high weights due to the fact that every fish counts. When someone like KVD gets on a school of decent size fish he can just hammer on them and keep adding weight instead of culling up ounces at a time
    2018 zx 190
    150 v-max sho

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    The MLF series has been a tv focused championship series with no prior practice or even advance notice to where they were fishing. It has been going on a number of years and does not sem to have changed lure sales so far.

The BPT is the new Tour that will have pre practices and the anglers will have advance notice of where they will be fishing not to mention there will be a much higher number of anglers fishing to make the final days cut.

Since we have yet to see an actual BPT tour event in action so far it is a little premature to know exactly what and how this format will play out as far as the fishing is concerned.

So since you chose to quote me, let’s discuss something. When an angler wins the Bassmaster Classic, sales of the winning lure go through the roof. When an angler wins the MLF cup or whatever they’ve been calling it, the sales of the lure have done nothing. No merit, you say???

Remember when KVD caught a few fish on a Duo Realis spinbait during a BASS event? Sales went nuts....Never on a MLF event. Now write me an essay about it.

This style of MLF won't last... It will change.. Simply because the guys fishing it will eventually get tired of catching little fish... The eventually get bored with the format..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Member
    So since you chose to quote me, let’s discuss something. When an angler wins the Bassmaster Classic, sales of the winning lure go through the roof.

Remember when KVD caught a few fish on a Duo Realis spinbait during a BASS event? Sales went nuts....
    Please provide industry wide sales numbers "of sales go through the roof" that you reference.

Do you mean that perhaps stores and online outlets, possibly even manufacturers only have on hand possibly a limited number in a color or size to be sold that was used as a winning bait?

That does not mean sales are through the roof only that what was on hand is sold, most stores only stock a limited number of a color and if that coloer is not one that has been popular all along those number of units in the inventory will even be lower!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    Please provide industry wide sales numbers "of sales go through the roof" that you reference.

Do you mean that perhaps stores and online outlets, possibly even manufacturers only have on hand possibly a limited number in a color or size to be sold that was used as a winning bait?

That does not mean sales are through the roof only that what was on hand is sold, most stores only stock a limited number of a color and if that coloer is not one that has been popular all along those number of units in the inventory will even be lower!

When stores all over America sell out of an item, I’d call that “through the roof”. Evergreen jackhammer, spinbait, teckel frogs, whopper plopper, were all “through the roof”. I think the whopper popper was the only one ever used on MLF that might have increased sales.

Whos wife are you? It’s obvious you’re one of the MLF pros wife, just can’t figure out which one.

I think the whopper popper was the only one ever used on MLF that might have increased sales.
    So you're saying there's a chance?

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    So you're saying there's a chance?

I think it was Chris Lane that threw the hell out of it or was it Shyrock?

I think it was Chris Lane that threw the hell out of it or was it Shyrock?
    I have no idea, I don't watch.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast