Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

Trading in on 2009 Stratos 201 Evolution/Evinrude 250 HO

Well, after a season and a half of fishing with my 295 Pro XL, and numerous very rough mid Lake Ontario trips out to the Main Duck Islands and beyond, I've decided to step back up to a larger boat:

2009 Stratos 201 XL Evolution DC (one owner/bought new in 2012):

The boat is in excellent shape, with 293 hrs on a 120 psi across-the-board Evinrude 250 E-Tec HO/Razor 4 prop (pitch unknown). I have intentions on installing my two Talons and Atlas 8" jack plate on this boat. The boat will have a new Ultrex installed as well.

I've never owned an Evinrude (always been a Merc man). It has been completely serviced with a new water separator, inline fuel filters, and impeller. So any input on quirks and quarks would be appreciated on this motor.

I know all about the dreaded cup holders, and intend to deep six those (or simply not use them). The boat does not have a tool caddy, so I may install a through-deck tool caddy/cup holder to the right of the step-up cooler. I'm not afraid to drill or cut holes, so any suggestions? Any other options?

I also see that it needs new bushing inserts for the front bow pedestals. What part number or repair tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Any owners of this model boat are invited to pipe in about any mods they have completed, or any concerns. I've been driving bass boats for close to 30 years, and have owned Stratos and Triton in the past. Big water doesn't phase me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 01-21-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

2. Member
    I fished back in 2010 with a club member(before he transferred to another state)that I think ran the same boat.Very fast hull and very stable in big water.I cant recall the engine but if the 250HO runs and is dependable as my 2010 150HO you will love it to death.Good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

3. Member
    I have owned this same boat with the ETec since new in spring of 2009. My fishing partner bought the exact same boat opposite colors and I can tell you it was a tale of two boats. He has gone through 2 powerheads and 2 lower units while I have had no major problems aside from a broken shift linkage.....but then last season I cracked the block.....shop says only logical cause was not winterizing properly but I have a hard time believing that one. I am faced with 7k bill to fix it and I have less than 200 hours on it. Im not sure what to tell you.....to my knowledge there were no major issues with 09 etec but my buddys experience was worst case scenario. I do know there was a recall or exchange program offered up on the lower units.....they had problems with the Lightning gearcase and offered up a swap for the M or saltwater lower unit that was visibly larger and more durable. I never did the swap but my buddy did and it did change the setup a lot.....all new props and the M2 needs to be stuffed to get proper performance. After a lot of tweaking he did get his old speeds back....we were both running hydromotive quad ob iv 27 pitch but now he runs a 28 and we are both mid to high 70s.

Jason Cowgill

4. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgillj1 View Post
    .....but then last season I cracked the block.....shop says only logical cause was not winterizing properly but I have a hard time believing that one. I am faced with 7k bill to fix it and I have less than 200 hours on it....
    I find that hard to believe as well. Especially since you live in coastal WA. Does it get that cold there?

I've put an extended warranty on the outboard, just to be safe.

(It's -10F here today, with a windchill of -20F)
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

I have owned this same boat with the ETec since new in spring of 2009. My fishing partner bought the exact same boat opposite colors and I can tell you it was a tale of two boats. He has gone through 2 powerheads and 2 lower units while I have had no major problems aside from a broken shift linkage.....but then last season I cracked the block.....shop says only logical cause was not winterizing properly but I have a hard time believing that one. I am faced with 7k bill to fix it and I have less than 200 hours on it. Im not sure what to tell you.....to my knowledge there were no major issues with 09 etec but my buddys experience was worst case scenario. I do know there was a recall or exchange program offered up on the lower units.....they had problems with the Lightning gearcase and offered up a swap for the M or saltwater lower unit that was visibly larger and more durable. I never did the swap but my buddy did and it did change the setup a lot.....all new props and the M2 needs to be stuffed to get proper performance. After a lot of tweaking he did get his old speeds back....we were both running hydromotive quad ob iv 27 pitch but now he runs a 28 and we are both mid to high 70s.
    What do you mean by "the M2 needs to be stuffed"?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

6. Member
    M2 jackplate set much lower than my setup to get best holeshot and top end

Jason Cowgill

7. Member
    I havent been able to find a reputable extended warranty company that would cover mechanical breakdown What company did you go through?

Jason Cowgill

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I havent been able to find a reputable extended warranty company that would cover mechanical breakdown What company did you go through?
    I'll get back to you on that. Different laws up here.

Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    What do you mean by "the M2 needs to be stuffed"?
    Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what a M2 is. I tried Googling it, but came up blank.

9. Member
    If you search the forum for Magnum gear case or M2 or lightning gear case you will see a lot of discussions from as far back as 10 yrs ago when the problems were discovered. Guys that smoked their lower unit were encouraged by BRP to go to the M2 based on reliability.....it is a visibly beefier unit with a different look and more torque and a different gear ratio......most who made the switch reported going up in pitch and having to drop motor height to get similar performance out of it which matches what my buddy found. I still have the lightning case but if it ever fails Im not sure if any new ones are available. I wouldnt call it an excellent rough water boat due to it being a bit on the light side but it fairs above average in the rough stuff IMO if you drive it right. Awhile back I did order a tool storage plate from stratos but I havent installed it yet......stratos added a tool storage feature on the evo just to the right of the step cooler in 2016 or 2015 models and since hull is the same that piece can be added with a little cutting.

Jason Cowgill

I just put a BRP reman M2 on mine. It had an L1 (early model 08) instead of the L2 on later models. The ratios on the L1 and M2 are comparable. I hope to be able to use the 28" Raker II that ran ok with the old gearcase. Probably not knowing my luck. I have not had a chance to run it yet. You can still get the L2's if you want to stay with the lightning.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    .... I wouldn't call it an excellent rough water boat due to it being a bit on the light side but it fairs above average in the rough stuff IMO if you drive it right. Awhile back I did order a tool storage plate from Stratos but I havent installed it yet......stratos added a tool storage feature on the evo just to the right of the step cooler in 2016 or 2015 models and since hull is the same that piece can be added with a little cutting.
    I'm pretty used to running big rough water, having guided on Lake Nipissing for a number of years (Triton TR21 DC), and now living on Bay of Quinte/Lake Ontario for the past twenty years. The 295 is just a little too rough for these old bones.

Would you happen to have a pic/part #/source for the tool holder? Perhaps I should contact White River/Ranger for that?

Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I just put a BRP reman M2 on mine. It had an L1 (early model 08) instead of the L2 on later models. The ratios on the L1 and M2 are comparable. I hope to be able to use the 28" Raker II that ran ok with the old gearcase. Probably not knowing my luck. I have not had a chance to run it yet. You can still get the L2's if you want to stay with the lightning.
    I'll have to look into what gear case it is. I know the 201 goes like a scalded cat, as it blew by me when I was clipping along at 65 mph in the 295. I figured that if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!

12. Member
    Two comments from me:
    The Stratos 201 hull is the best ever made, period.
    Take the engine to an Evinrude dealer and have the injectors removed, sent off to be cleaned and calibrated. A single injector failure will cause engine failure.

13. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Two comments from me:
    The Stratos 201 hull is the best ever made, period.
    Take the engine to an Evinrude dealer and have the injectors removed, sent off to be cleaned and calibrated. A single injector failure will cause engine failure.
    Thank you for your input about the injectors... I don't want to become stranded out on Lake Ontario; warranty is of no use out on the big water.

I'm on it!
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 01-27-2019 at 10:24 AM.

14. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Does anyone know if the Ultrex foot pedal fits in the recessed molded tray in the bow deck? (2009 201 EVO)

15. Member
    The ultrex fits I have one on my 09 201 Evo. Great boat!

16. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Thanks! I found a pic, but it was on a '15.