Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What wrapper are you all using

I need to finally get a good wrapper. The one I was using is home built and uses multiple motors / bets etc. It works but isn't perfect. I would like one that also doubles as a dryer.

Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I have a seperate drying box and i use a Renzetti lathe. The Renzetti is nice but expensive, with extra parts i have over 1400 in mine. I like to keep it free from finish drips so after applying finish i move the rod to the dryer and clean up any drips which is rare. I could use it in a pinch for drying if i had to.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I have a seperate drying box and i use a Renzetti lathe. The Renzetti is nice but expensive, with extra parts i have over 1400 in mine. I like to keep it free from finish drips so after applying finish i move the rod to the dryer and clean up any drips which is rare. I could use it in a pinch for drying if i had to.
    Ohhhh lord no I'm not spending 1400!!!!! Ill have to look it up though I'm curious.

I have the American tackle power wrapper. Think it's like 2 or 300. Only thing I'd do and still need to is spend the 150 for the upgraded chuck.

5. Member
    Anyone use the one linked to below. Looks like its on sale.

http://www.mudhole.com/Pacific-Bay-R...-Wrapper-RW-1L

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post

I have a buddy who has this lathe. He uses a Clemons (precursor to the Renzetti) for wrapping and uses the other one for decorative wraps and weaves. It is a good unit.

7. Member
    I'd cry if someone got epoxy near my wrapper.
    My preference is old school ... a Sully.
    I'm pretty sure they are long gone, no more.
    They are a VERY good unpowered setup.

I'd encourage you to try to find a used one.

8. Member

I have one on order. I haven't build a rod before but ready to get into this addiction. I will let you know how the wrapper does when it comes in next week.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I'd cry if someone got epoxy near my wrapper.
    My preference is old school ... a Sully.
    I'm pretty sure they are long gone, no more.
    They are a VERY good unpowered setup.

http://www.bamboorodmaker.com/Sullys...ng_System.html

10. Member
    There are many wrappers out there in all price ranges. Like many i started out with a sears catalog for line tension, a coffee cup to hold the thread, and some cardboard box with V notches. I then moved to a more "modern" wooden wrapper, then on to my Renzetti. I don't think a person interested in the craft can make a bad choice, they are all functional.

11. Member
    There are many wrappers out there in all price ranges. Like many i started out with a sears catalog for line tension, a coffee cup to hold the thread, and some cardboard box with V notches. I then moved to a more "modern" wooden wrapper, then on to my Renzetti. I don't think a person interested in the craft can make a bad choice, they are all functional.
    HAHAHAHAH same here except I was using a telephone book.

My rod dryer was a modified can opener.

I don't think I was even able to drive when I built that first rod. Still have it and will use it when I catfish.

12. Member
    HAHAHAHAH same here except I was using a telephone book.

My rod dryer was a modified can opener.

I don't think I was even able to drive when I built that first rod. Still have it and will use it when I catfish.
    I built my first rod at age 14 and used a cut down Hy-Gain solid glass CB antenna for a blank. Ordered the cork and reel seat from janns or somewhere like that. The guides were a hodgepodge collection from broken rods and i used the old braided fishing line for thread. I used some shellack from my dads garage for thread coatings. Slapped a 5000 C reel on her and commenced to whup the crap out of catfish for some years. Wish i still had that to compare with these days!!

13. Member
    I built my first rod at age 14 and used a cut down Hy-Gain solid glass CB antenna for a blank. Ordered the cork and reel seat from janns or somewhere like that. The guides were a hodgepodge collection from broken rods and i used the old braided fishing line for thread. I used some shellack from my dads garage for thread coatings. Slapped a 5000 C reel on her and commenced to whup the crap out of catfish for some years. Wish i still had that to compare with these days!!
    Those were good times!!!!! I remember using all sorts of weird coatings. Polyurethane, thinned silicone rubber, clear finger nail polish etc. Whatever I could find laying around to try.

Also have plenty of old and REALLY old Garcias setting around for catfishing.
    Last edited by Axkiker; 01-20-2019 at 02:52 PM.

I have an clemens and 8 spool thread carriage. Bought it used for a heck of a deal. They go fast when they go up on the for sale boards on the various rod building forums.

That is the same as the American Tackle one with Pac Bay slapped on it lol. I like mine.

16. Member
    I still use the same hand wrapper I started with like 15 years ago...upgraded the felt...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post

Used is something I didn't think about and is a good idea.

Anyone out there aware of any currently for sale? Ill do some searching but if someone knows of a listing off the top of their head let me know.

18. Member
    I used the wrapper some yesterday. Overall I think the wrapper will be all I ever need. But there is some learning curve to everything. I thought I would be able to take right of wrapping my eyes but had a difficult time starting and not that happy with my work so far. Nothing bad just not perfect.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Obviously we’d recommend our ALPS Power Wrapper. The chuck constantly gets rave reviews from everyone. Doesn’t loosen up when it’s locked in and there’s variable speeds.

The Renzetti is awesome as well but not everyone wants to pull the trigger on that price.

Our ForeCast power wrapper, which has been around for a long time, is solid. It’s chuck is similar to American Tackles and PacBay basic power wrapper. Would recommend tapping the butt into the chucks to make sure it doesn’t come loose when drying – hasn’t happened often when I use the ForeCast one but has.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

20. Member
    Any BBC sponsor code etc for a discount on either of those wrappers ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast