Thread: X21 Opinions

X21 Opinions

There was a thread not long ago covering this but it's now gone forever, so I'm asking again. What are your opinions of the X21. I'm particularly inquiring from guys that have owned or currently own one. Things I'm more concerned with are workmanship, fish-ability, and reliability (most important). I want a boat that will last 10 plus years without falling apart. Also how do the trailers hold up? I ask because I'm considering buying a new one. I've crawled all over the boat from top to bottom and it looks impressive but there's just no one around me that has spent very much time in one to ask.

My 2006 X21TS has had a few problem. Wiring connections, I think they fixed that with water tight connections a few years back. They are trying to seal the storage compartment on the 2018 one that I seen. I got my 2006 seal the best we could and bought water tight boxes to store gear in. I replaced the carpet last year because it was coming unglued and show a lot of ware but that is not bad for a 12 year old boat with a lot of fishing out of it. I love fishing out of it, wind will blow it around a little but not much, it handles the big water very well. Make sure you max the HP out and it is dry ride when on the pad. You don't have to run it wide open to keep it on the pad with the 250. My HPDI 250 was OK but we just upgraded to the 250 SHO and it make the handle a lot better nd seems to have more HP.
    Trailer: I'm not sure if they have improved on. Check the welds that hold the bunks on to the frame. I had to weld a couple of them back on when the weld started to crack. The rivets that they used to hold my fender on worked loose, used SS bolts with lock nuts to fix that problem. Up grade to LED light just less problems. The wood they use on the bunks is real good but the lag bolts worked their way out so we used SS carriage head bolts with lock nuts then put the slick pads on bunks. Carpet was showing a lot of ware. You do have to be careful not to unhood before you get to the water. They made easy to load and unload.
    Yes I would buy new X21 again if something happen to this one but right now it looks like I got another 12 plus years on this one. Maybe newer electronics down road, 2 Helix Gen 2 12" are 2 years right now and one older HB and the Ultrax 112 after a few more years. I have had other glass boat but to me no better than my tin boat. My buddy's 21 foot Ranger does not ride and better, just a wider deck up front and the new X21 have a wider front than mind

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

3. Member
    Well, I wouldn't call it craftsmanship. More like quick assembly! Wiring is lacking, but usable. Hulls are tough, they fish very good and are tough boats. That's the main reason i own one. The ride is very good and they handle good. The trailers are well a trailer. The one I have under my x-19 has been decent. The one we had under the x-21 was poorly assembled had to cut and move both fenders as they were put on crooked and contacted the boat sides when loading. If xpress could get their heads out of their rear they would have one of the best boats out there but quality is spotty at best. In the aluminum game their hulls are excellent. But some of the issues I have had to fix should not have taken place. But to be honest I have seen alot of crap in all brands that I have worked on except Allison. Even with this being said I would buy another just for the peace of mind of not worrying about glass repair and transom issues. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Thanks guys. I've heard some horror stories about the wiring but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the boat I looked at yesterday was wired. Everything looked just as neat as my Ranger wiring.

5. Member
    Yea, like we said it is not terrible but sometimes lacking. You can't "control" quality. You either have it or not. IMHO it totally depends on who assembles the boat. When we purchased the x-19 I have now the live well light wire was routed alongside the well on the bottom. The wire worked it's way underneath it and rubbed time the structure grounding it out. So none of the running lights worked. It was a quick fix if you know electrical but would have been a headache for someone. A cable tie, holder and 20 seconds would have prevented that. I spent about a day rerouting, buffering and replacing bad connections. The only thing I didn't do was replace the junk spring loaded inline fuse holders they will use sometimes. Had 1 go bad so I replaced all of them. Little stuff like that. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.