Thread: Hydraulic Fluid

Hydraulic Fluid

I have 2004 Yamaha hpdi and the steering is getting hard to steer at high speeds. I’m not trimmed too high because
    rooster tail is not higher than the motor. When I am turning there is a slip in the steering wheel. Seems like I may be low on hydraulic fluid? How do I add fluid or check level? YouTube has not been any help.

Thanks is in advance.

2. Member
    Here's a link to the manual - http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...04/929784G.pdf

It's easier to bleed with 2 people, but you can do it yourself if you get creative. I've only used the SeaStar fluid, but there are cheaper alternatives out there if you look around. Any dealer will have the SeaStar. I bought the adapter that threads into the fill port and rigged up a way to hold the bottle upside down above the helm. Your symptoms definitely sound like it needs to be bled.

3. Member
    A standard male threaded air hose fitting screws into my port at the steering wheel. Clear tubing for fill and bleed ports from Lowes.
    Hydraulic Steering fluid from Wal-mart.

2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

4. Member
    Thanks for the video. I'll attempt this project this weekend. Doubt it goes as easy as the video looked but I'll give it the ole college try. HA!

5. Member
    You'll do fine. Just make sure you don't spill any hydraulic fluid on your carpet.....ask me how I know,
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

Mine was like this early last year. Loose steering at low speeds, nearly impossible to turn the wheel at high speeds. Bled the system out and its nice and tight, for now. The fluid had to go somewhere and I noticed I have a small leak on one of the steering rams. Will need to reseal it this spring. Bleeding is much easier with two people.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

7. Member
    Ken1okie. Thanks for the video and help. Everything went well