Added weight made outboard louder

I recently swapped a 24v trolling system to a 36v and added two Talons. Best guess is I added 300lbs total to the back of the boat considering all three new batteries are Grp31. Got it out today for the first time today and everything works like a champ, but the outboard seems like it was considerably louder than what I remember.

Could it be sitting down echoing more off the water? Or maybe I was just paying more attention to it?

Running a Mercury 225 2 stroke

Anybody else had this happen?

Not sure about it being louder but I would think you need to raise the jackplate some to compensate for adding that much weight to the stern.

3. Member
    Dam if I added 300 lbs to the back of my boat
    it probably wouldn't be able to to get
    on plane. Definitely sitting lower in the water. Is it noticeably harder to plan ? Motor could just be working a little harder to get up.

4. Banned
    Motor is working harder.........

You may be hearing it work harder....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    I really don't know a lot about motors, but could the sound of the motor be echoing off the talons? Sorry if this sounds stupid

7. Banned
    Your imagination... Dan

8. Member
    Where it was noticeable was at idle not handling load. Echoing off the talon very well could be it.

There was a small difference getting on plane but way les than expected. Only lost 2mph on the top end and that was with a full tank of fuel.

On a side note, boat is a 99 Stratos 201 that had 40 hours on it total when I got it a year ago. Guy bought it new was soon after, diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Spotless. This boat has a 60 gallon fuel tank. Seems way bigger than any other boat I’ve been in. Any other tanks that big?

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wait, it’s a 1999 that had 40 hours on it? I’m sorry for the guy that bought it new but you scored! Have you raised the jackplate to compensate for the weight? Sounds like you added a significant amount of weight to only lose 2mph, considering the location of the weight!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

You're hearing the harmonics of the engine off the 2 Talons.

11. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Single 50 gal tank here. 1999 LS 205 Hydrasport

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thndrchkn View Post
    Where it was noticeable was at idle not handling load. Echoing off the talon very well could be it.

There was a small difference getting on plane but way les than expected. Only lost 2mph on the top end and that was with a full tank of fuel.

On a side note, boat is a 99 Stratos 201 that had 40 hours on it total when I got it a year ago. Guy bought it new was soon after, diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Spotless. This boat has a 60 gallon fuel tank. Seems way bigger than any other boat I’ve been in. Any other tanks that big?
    Think it should be a single 50 gallon tank? Before 98 they were dual 26 gallons
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Mine has this tank:
    Material: Crosslink Poly
    Model: FO5215
    Date MFG: 11/05/98
    Capacity: 52 gallons
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Mine has this tank:
    Material: Crosslink Poly
    Model: FO5215
    Date MFG: 11/05/98
    Capacity: 52 gallons
    Sorry I was thinking the single were 50. That is why the ?
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Prolly those aluminum tubes u put on the back. Causing sound to be different.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Sorry I was thinking the single were 50. That is why the ?
    50-52 meh. Close enough.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

17. Member
    Agree with the others RE sitting lower in the water, motor working harder.

But... don't think you added that much extra weight. The extra battery is what... 65 pounds? The Talons however are fairly heavy, a good 120 pounds. Even then, you're at 185. Figuring that you may have upgraded your other two batteries (size) that could be an extra 15, plus a bit of wiring, but you're still at 200-ish.

I do however CERTAINLY feel ya' on a large fuel tank. My Z9 has a teeny tiny 66 GALLON tank! When we take a vacation, rent a house (or two) on a lake.... I'll fill it up here before we go because I do NOT buy fuel on the lake. And I don't want to pull it out and go look for REC90 when I'm on vacation. One thing for sure... BOY does the ol' girl ride heavy the first half of the vacation!

Oh, and I'm running 5 batteries (dual cranking), and twin 10' Blades. My biggest mistake was installing 1/0 welding wire as the wiring throughout when I added the extra cranking battery. Installed a battery switch and a pair of HD bus bars to run all the peripheral wiring from. That darned wire is big as my finger, and is AT LEAST 15 pounds! I didn't realize it was going to be so darned heavy when I ordered it. Then went to return it to Amazon and shipping was TWENTY BUCKS because of the weight, so I kept it.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

2015 z8 advertises 68 gallon take and i got 68.5 in it the day i took it off the show room. and they splashed gas in it to run the motor
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089