Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question: Would an Allison be a good boat for me?

I've been around Allison some because my neighbor has always owned them and I've attended the Ally Rally with him when the guys came up to Cherokee Lake. To me they are one of the best looking boats on the market and I like to go fast. Here's the only thing I question, I use my boat to bass fish, not really into just cruising. Right now I have a 20' aluminum G3 bass boat with a 200 Yamaha and I like the boat but when the wind gets up a little it pushes me all over the place. I put an Ultrex on it which helps but it works it to death when the wind gets up to 10 - 15. I also want something that takes the waves good. The G3 will beat you to death when the wind gets up. I also have to have a dual console because my wife fishes with me 90% of the time and we fish 12 months of the year. She said she really wants to stick with the dual console to keep the cold wind off her. I sold my Tacoma and by the time I sell the G3 I'll have about $30,000 to spend, would that come close to buying an older X21 Bassport Pro? The X21 looks like it would be the best fit for me but seems even the older ones are expensive. I like the XB2003 but I'm not seeing a lot of storage. I keep a lot of gear on my boat so that's important to me. For my needs, do you think I would be better off with a Triton, Ranger, or Skeeter? Out of the big 3, I'm leaning towards the Triton 21HP. It's a big boat with lots of storage and decent speed results with a Merc 250XS. I've seen several guys post they're getting up in the high 70s, low 80s with 2 guys and tournament load. I really appreciate your thoughts because I want the next boat to be one I'll hold on to for a long time.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    The XB21 is an awesome fishing boat. I had the pleasure of owning and fishing out of one for the last 3.5 years. It simply just doesnt get any better IMO. But, the only problem is they are expensive and extremely hard to find used because the owners just dont sell them that offen.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    The XB21 is an awesome fishing boat. I had the pleasure of owning and fishing out of one for the last 3.5 years. It simply just doesnt get any better IMO. But, the only problem is they are expensive and extremely hard to find used because the owners just dont sell them that offen.
    Tim, I can understand that, why would you sell one unless you were getting a new one. Tim can you tell me what is the first year for the XB21? I guess if I found the right boat I might go a little more but I just wanted to invest what I have coming out of my old boat and my Tacoma I sold. Is there a chance finding one in the $30,000 range?

4. Member
    2003 is first year for xb21s

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ga View Post
    Tim, I can understand that, why would you sell one unless you were getting a new one. Tim can you tell me what is the first year for the XB21? I guess if I found the right boat I might go a little more but I just wanted to invest what I have coming out of my old boat and my Tacoma I sold. Is there a chance finding one in the $30,000 range?
    2003 was the first year for the XB21 Prosport and 2+2, the 2 seater (BasSport Pro) didnt come along until 2006-7ish.

I sold mine by accident, a couple came to look at my used boats and ended up wanting mine. It was hard to let it go but it worked out in the end.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    I believe the Bassport Pro's came out in 2005. I used to own the #14th one built, which was a 2006 year model boat, and now it belongs to my nephew. It's possible they could have built a few in 2004 though in order to get up to speed on the build process. Being as honest as I can be I doubt very seriously you will find a used one anytime soon for $30K. Mid-30's, maybe more realistic. These are the best of the best boats and fish as awesome as they ride. If I were picking one of the 3 boats you mentioned for speed/fishing combo it would be the Triton. I had a TR21 and even though it didn't run up in the 80's loaded, it did carry a fishing load well to about 78 with a 250 Pro XS and 1.62 gears in the lower. Good luck on the hunt. (BTW, I've owned 4 G3's too. One HP200 with a 200 HPDI. Was a great boat all around).

7. Member
    Xb2003 doesn't hold as many rods or quite as much tackle and it's just a tad bit hard getting on the front deck and for me that's where the cons end. You can run all day in 30 degree weather with out any problem. The dash and windshield work so good that I take the windshield off in the hot months just to get some air.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Xb2003 doesn't hold as many rods or quite as much tackle and it's just a tad bit hard getting on the front deck and for me that's where the cons end. You can run all day in 30 degree weather with out any problem. The dash and windshield work so good that I take the windshield off in the hot months just to get some air.
    Depends on how you organize your tackle and how you have it stored.

The two rear compartments are massive, and can hold an insane amount.

The front center i stuck a plastic milk crate in there and put the plano’s I was using at the time up there with the little tackle trey on top for little stuff.

In the rod locker use rod socks and you can neatly put a ton of rods in it.

I fished tourneys heavy out of my 2003 for 3 seasons.

If I wasn’t so heavy into tournament fishing I never would have gotten rid of it.

Best “all around “ boat I’ve ever had and best for fun runs , but for tournaments the bullet is better.

I do miss my triton at times on bigger lakes where I’m fishing off shore structure in the rough.

I had had a tr21x with 250 pro xs.

The op should look at duel console bullets too, will be easier to find in his price range than the big Allison.

Money no object, when it’s time to buy my next boat if I ever do it’s gonna be an xb21 or a fx21 skeeter.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Depends on how you organize your tackle and how you have it stored.

The two rear compartments are massive, and can hold an insane amount.

The front center i stuck a plastic milk crate in there and put the plano’s I was using at the time up there with the little tackle trey on top for little stuff.

In the rod locker use rod socks and you can neatly put a ton of rods in it.

I fished tourneys heavy out of my 2003 for 3 seasons.

If I wasn’t so heavy into tournament fishing I never would have gotten rid of it.

Best “all around “ boat I’ve ever had and best for fun runs , but for tournaments the bullet is better.

I do miss my triton at times on bigger lakes where I’m fishing off shore structure in the rough.

I had had a tr21x with 250 pro xs.

The op should look at duel console bullets too, will be easier to find in his price range than the big Allison.

Money no object, when it’s time to buy my next boat if I ever do it’s gonna be an xb21 or a fx21 skeeter.

"Money no object, when it’s time to buy my next boat if I ever do it’s gonna be an xb21 or a fx21 skeeter."

I fished in a 2018 fx21 a few times, I have not fished in a xb21 but from what I have read it would be my pick.
    Last edited by hirks; 01-24-2019 at 09:47 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirks View Post
    "Money no object, when it’s time to buy my next boat if I ever do it’s gonna be an xb21 or a fx21 skeeter."

I fished in a 2018 fx21 a few times, I have not fished in a xb21 but from what I have read it would be my pick.
    there are different things I like about each one, it’s not so cut and dried to me, I’d have to really decide what’s more important to me, right now the skeeter is higher up on the list for me. Everyone is different though.

And if I want to go fast I can just hop in my Xr anyway.

12. Banned
    Have you ever been in a Basscat? The Eyra is their 20' hotrod, not sure you can find one in your price range as they came out in 2011 I believe though their 19' Pantera would be and has been upper 70s with a 200.

13. Member
    Guys I really appreciate the feedback. I'm still looking but leaning heavy towards a Triton 21HP and I've found a couple low hour boats in the low $30s. 90.5.0, I've been looking for a dual console Bullet but not having a lot of luck on that side. I really like the Ranger Z521 but I know they're big slow boats. I'm seeing top speeds in the low 70s, even with a 250 HP. I have a couple guys coming to look at my G3 this weekend and if one of them don't buy it, I think I'll pull it off the market and wait a couple months. I'm sure I'll wind up getting close to my price if I wait till spring to sale. I still want to buy my glass boat now instead of waiting till prices go up.

What about Nitro boats, any feedback? They've not really been on my radar but probably should open up to those also. The price on them seem to be more reasonable.

Thanks again

14. Banned
    Guys I really appreciate the feedback. I'm still looking but leaning heavy towards a Triton 21HP and I've found a couple low hour boats in the low $30s. 90.5.0, I've been looking for a dual console Bullet but not having a lot of luck on that side. I really like the Ranger Z521 but I know they're big slow boats. I'm seeing top speeds in the low 70s, even with a 250 HP. I have a couple guys coming to look at my G3 this weekend and if one of them don't buy it, I think I'll pull it off the market and wait a couple months. I'm sure I'll wind up getting close to my price if I wait till spring to sale. I still want to buy my glass boat now instead of waiting till prices go up.

What about Nitro boats, any feedback? They've not really been on my radar but probably should open up to those also. The price on them seem to be more reasonable.

Thanks again
    Is quality a concern or only price?

Good luck with the sale

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Is quality a concern or only price?

Good luck with the sale
    Well if there's such a thing, both. Since I posted the last post, I looked at some Nitros and I hate how tall the consoles stick up. They're really not that cheap either. I wished I was in the $45,000 range, I see all kinds of boats I like at that price. I have $30,000 cash for a boat and that's all I'm going to spend so I've got to hang in there and the right boat will happen. I always go back to Triton, Skeeter, and Ranger, just seem like really well built boats. I know I'll be buying a 8 - 12 year old boat but I'm fine with that as long as it's been taken care of.

16. Member
    10ga, one thing you need to keep in mind is the high performance bass boats are hand layed up not chopper cut gun hulls. The Ally, Bullet and Stroker fall into the high performance category, most of the others you mentioned don't. Chopper gun hulls aren't as light or nearly as strong. I'm just throwing this out there as I don't own any of the brands you mentioned. These performance bass boats may not have all the bells and whistles as the others but are much better built. Just my opinion.

You can find 21's for $30k. I handful of us have bought ours for around that price. You will just have to watch the forums like a hawk and be ready to move when one comes up. They do not last long. Especially in this economy.

In addition, you might have to put a little work into a $30k Allison. I bought mine for around that with a 225 on it. I have almost replaced everything on mine, but I'm a boat guy, not a classic car guy. I fix and replace things on mine just because I like to tinker not because the boat didn't hold up. My guess is it will have older gear on it or none.

If you do not like to "drive" a boat or get into the "setup" this will not be the boat for you. You have to put work into it to get it the numbers you see posted by many.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

18. Member
    Talk to Tim Powell if you are interested in a 2+2. Looks like he will be buying mine once he gets some time to get the details anchored down. He could then do any upgrades you want before picking it up. Or if you are a diy guy you get do the fixing up yourself and save more money.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

19. Member
    I don’t think a person could Go wrong with a xb21. Ever

20. Member

Thanks again
    it takes an absolute ton of set up work to get a z521 into the low 70’s tourney loaded consistently. 68 is more accurate and or constitant of a number in my experience and the ones I’ve helped set up.

But they are like fishing off a dock as far as stability goes.

My partner got a zx250 last year when he traded that ranger in, we are loving it so far. Poor bullet hasn’t been getting much tourney time lately, we used to fish out of it a lot more but not since he got the new skeeter.

Sometimes i I even get it instead of the bullet out of the shop when I’m just fishing by myself to practice for one even and leave the bullet lol.

I’m getting old now I know when i leave a bullet sitting in the bay and grab the skeeter instead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast