Thoughts on repower blown HPDI to SHO.

Need thoughts and opinions on what I should do here.

I got a 2008 Skeeter with a 250 HPDI. The boat is 11 years old and been fished out of hard and often, its not showroom perfect but I still like it better than the new ones and dont see me getting rid of it any time soon as it suits my needs perfectly and paid for. My motor has 1078 hours on it and pretty sure it blowed up today... felt a miss, lost power and hearing bad noises and vibration. It was about dark by the time I got off the water so haven't had a chance to look at anything under the hood yet. This motor was rebuilt around 760 hours in 2015 due to no compression on cylinder 1 due to a ring failure.

Though I could probably rebuild it again a lot cheaper than a new motor I kind of feel like overall it may be about used up, I worry that I would just keep throwing money at it as everything else has a lot of hours on it and only a matter of time before other components start wearing out and failing. I often hear it said that people never get their moneys worth out of a repower when it comes to resale, however I think I could probably put 7 -800 hours on a new motor before I am ready for a different boat. To me it seems a fresh start, peace of mind and warranty may be enough to justify the cost, especially looking at price tags on new and late model used boats.

Also is there and trade in or resale value on a blown up motor?
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Just put a 2019 250 SHO on my 2006 Xpress X21TS because we was have some trouble with the HPDI and did not want a new boat. Had it recarpeted last year.Electronics and an Ultrax TM are a couple years old. I plan on keeping it for a real long time. Love the Sho, a total different motor, stock motor feels like it has a lot more power than my old HPDI did when it was new.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

3. Tony C
    Still have my HPDI 250, 2005 year. With that said, my next outboard will be the sho. Know several that went that way and love them. As far as the HPDI, you can sell it as parts on the board here. I’m sure there is always someone looking for parts. Maybe even someone would rebuild it if it’s worth doing depending on damage to block and crank.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

I sold mind on here with no problems they came by and picked it up.

5. Member
    I just went through the same hard decision. I blew my 2001 0X-66 this summer. That was the third powerhead..I could have rebuilt it (about $6000 CDN) but I thought to put that much money into a motor when all the other parts on it were 16 years old was too much risk for me. My 2002 ZX200 is in excellent condition so I bit the bullit and bought a new, 2018 SHO 200. I know I'll never get my money back on resale but I really want the new motor reliability. And I sold my 0X-66 "as-is" on Craigs list no problem.

6. Member
    Sorry to hear about your motor. The peace of mind having a brand new waranty motor is pretty darn good. My dealer out west said it would be a year to hang a new SHO 250 on my boat. Very frustrated at that perspective as well as a 250 four stroke mercury taking six months or more, these what if's might help you make your decision. Good luck on whatever you do, life is short! :)

I tell customers if you don't want to keep your boat another 3 to 5 years then don't waste the money on a new repower.
    Proud Army Dad

I’m on my 3rd OX66, only 90 documented hours on this one......but yea, when it goes, I’m getting a new 200 SHO and going with a HydroTec flash\reprogram........ never had an HPDI, that old strait EFI power has been proven more reliable

Quote Originally Posted by richierich1 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your motor. The peace of mind having a brand new waranty motor is pretty darn good. My dealer out west said it would be a year to hang a new SHO 250 on my boat. Very frustrated at that perspective as well as a 250 four stroke mercury taking six months or more, these what if's might help you make your decision. Good luck on whatever you do, life is short! :)
    I was Told it would be six months or longer before my dealer could get a 250 SHO. We posted on here and someone had located 2 within 100 miles of me now we have a 2019 250 SHO

10. Member
    Do it!
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Save yourself some money, get a 200 SHO and have it flashed.

Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    I tell customers if you don't want to keep your boat another 3 to 5 years then don't waste the money on a new repower.
    Pretty sure I could get my moneys worth out of a new one before I get rid of my boat.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

13. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Id give a Hydro-Tec a call they would trade in on a new sho or give you a quote on a power head on a Hydro-Tec Remanufactured power heads have a 1 year warranty....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

14. Member
    Blew my ‘03 250 HPDI, had it re-built to save money after debating going with a new 250 SHO. The re-build was about half the cost a new SHO. Only 240 motor hours later, I bit the bullet and re-powered with the SHO. Wish I’da never re-built the motor and just bought the SHO. It’s faster, quieter, far more fuel efficient, cleaner burning, and - beyond all that - I’m no longer burning a gallon of expensive oil with each tank of fuel. With the fuel and oil savings alone, I calculate the motor will pay for itself in 7-8 years vs. keeping the HPDI...and will enjoy all the additional benefits along the way. Go with the SHO and don’t think twice about the decision.