Thread: g2 reliability

g2 reliability

Im about tired of blowing mercury powerheads, I would like everyones input on the g2, how many of you have blown powerheads or had any other problems. And is the 10yr warranty standard or is it extra?
    Thanks guys

2. Banned
    I don't own a G2, but I try to closely follow all things outboard related.
    The G2 seems to be the real deal; great performance and reliable.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    10 year Factory backed warranty is hard to turn down. The G2 is the real deal for a 2 stroke. Not a cheap motor for a 2 stroke but compare it to a Honda or Verado price wise. Lots of features on the motor.

I've owned one since last season so I don't have alot of hours on it yet but I'm impressed with the features and ease of use. It has the integrated DPS that I like better than the hydraulic cylinder and the controls are digital (no cables). The self winterizing was a piece of cake and took longer to drag out the garden hose than it took the engine to go through the process. I was able to plug my Garmin into the NMEA network and display most of the engine information I was looking for also.
    As ChampioNman said, the 10 yr warranty is a no brainer too.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by depdog60 View Post
    I've owned one since last season so I don't have alot of hours on it yet but I'm impressed with the features and ease of use. It has the integrated DPS that I like better than the hydraulic cylinder and the controls are digital (no cables). The self winterizing was a piece of cake and took longer to drag out the garden hose than it took the engine to go through the process. I was able to plug my Garmin into the NMEA network and display most of the engine information I was looking for also.
    As ChampioNman said, the 10 yr warranty is a no brainer too.
    Just be sure to condition the fuel and do any other treatments recommended. The self-winterizing just takes the place of "fogging the cylinders".
    I've got two buddies in the local club that melted down G1 250 powerheads, both on the first long run in the spring. They both used the auto-winterizing, but didn't bother to check what else needed to be done.

6. Member
    I got mine in 2016 and have about 160 hours on it. Love the motor and have not had any issues with it. Like the guys said about, the ten year warranty can't be beat.

7. Member
    They have been out since 2014, I don't think we had but one power head and couple gear cases but on the other hand we have a lot of those on the water. I have had a new one each year and not one problem.

8. Member
    I've had mine right at a year now and just shy of 100 hours. Other than a key switch that developed a dead spot in it, zero issues at all. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. As with any motor, make sure you have a knowledgeable dealer nearby.

And like others have pointed out, the 10 year warranty is a no-brainer.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

9. Member
    280 hours on my 250. It’s been good. I did have a fluid leak on the trim/steering assembly. Once it was properly diagnosed the assembly was replaced under warranty.