Anyone try Hydro dipping DIY?

Was thinkin' of hydro-dipping my ancient wood-grain dash panels, wondering if anyone has tried this themselves?

After watching this vid, looked very do-able:

Could do a nice carbon-fiber look or if that's too fake looking, maybe just a black pattern? Dragons??
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

2. Member
    Never done it myself but have seen several people do it. Relatively easy. They all did the carbon fiber look as well and it turned out great.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Never done it myself but have seen several people do it. Relatively easy. They all did the carbon fiber look as well and it turned out great.
    Do you know if they clear coated it afterwards? I'm sure they did, probably makes it far more durable. For the most part, I do not like phony carbon fiber, but if I have to pick between fake WOOD and fake carbon weave, Lol, carbon wins!

Clear for sure
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    lol

Guys I’ve tried it myself and if you want a professional job get a professional to do it. It’s not easy at all especially if you want it “right”. By the time you buy everything you need to do it yourself...you’ll be money ahead to get K & K to make it perfect !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

I have a buddy at work that has a side job of smithing and refinishing guns. He does a lot of hydrodipping and does several types of coatings. He has a permanent set up and buys bulk. There’s a lot involved and the money to set up. For the DIYer, unless your planning on doing it frequently, I’d have K&K to do it. Several practice pieces must be done and that’s a chunk of change. That film is not cheap.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 01-21-2019 at 04:45 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Dang double post

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Well said guys... some people however like the satisfaction and aggrivation of saying they did it themselves even if they spend 3 times the money it would have cost to send it to a professional. We see alot of failed jobs finally come to us after customers give up and realize they can only achieve subpar results and have spent more then it would have to send it to a professional in the first place.. not everything is as it appears on You Tube.. the quality of the products your using in a kit greatly differs from what a professional shop will use, hence the results a pro shop, with pro equipment can give you.. be it us or another shop.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Well said guys... some people however like the satisfaction and aggrivation of saying they did it themselves even if they spend 3 times the money it would have cost to send it to a professional. We see alot of failed jobs finally come to us after customers give up and realize they can only achieve subpar results and have spent more then it would have to send it to a professional in the first place.. not everything is as it appears on You Tube.. the quality of the products your using in a kit greatly differs from what a professional shop will use, hence the results a pro shop, with pro equipment can give you.. be it us or another shop.
    I hear ya KandK. My current boat project is an old one, and on a shoestring, I might add. You're on the opposite seaboard to me or else I'd price out some pieces. Seems I could improve/update the looks if I had a few dash pieces sprayed and then hydro dipped to get rid of the fake wood grain. Saw one guy using a snake skin hydro pattern that looked pretty good, since everyone seems to be doing fake carbon fiber...

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    I hear ya KandK. My current boat project is an old one, and on a shoestring, I might add. You're on the opposite seaboard to me or else I'd price out some pieces. Seems I could improve/update the looks if I had a few dash pieces sprayed and then hydro dipped to get rid of the fake wood grain. Saw one guy using a snake skin hydro pattern that looked pretty good, since everyone seems to be doing fake carbon fiber...
    well we have parts come in from South Korea, Australia, England, Russia, and South America to name just a few so shipping from California is pretty cheap on some light plastic pieces. If you dont want to ship them to us then look for someone in California.. a shoestring budget can easily turn into hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top of what you have spent on DIY materials. If you like I can recommend a quality shop we have a relationship with out in Cali. But with Cali pricing and our BBC10 discount code it may pay to spend the 15 to 20 bucks to get it to us. Either way recommend someone or sending to us Im happy to help.