USA Smartcraft fault

When your Smartcraft shows a fault and your motor only will run half power, or about 38mph, how do you check it to see what the fault was?? By the time I looked at the smartcraft gauge, it went back to pretty close to normal 2016 Racing 300XS

2. Member

3. Member
    Never had a horn or a beep, just the display of fault on the Smartcraft gauge and the boat wouldn't go any faster until it cleared

4. Member
    Fault will be stored.

5. Member
    So a Mercury computer should be able to recall it?, I went back through the gauge and it didn't show anything

6. Member
    Yes.

7. Member
    Thanks, I'll take it to my guy and see what it says!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to Savage's recommendation in Post#2:

If you would, please review the Forum Announcements and update your thread with the Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Sorry serial # 1E053059 2016 300XS Racing, I took it by today and hooked up the Mercury scanner to it, only fault it showed was engine voltage no, also ran spark plug, oil pump, injector, and ecu check, no problems with those, then I went and had the battery checked, it was fine too, Pro Guide 27 series 1000 cranking amps, 800 cca

You need a battery with at least 1000 CCA.
    Last edited by bb45; 01-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12, HDS Pro 10 with AT 1, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bb45 View Post
    You need a battery with at least 1000 CCA.
    For a fishing application and running accessories other than engine, correct. Don frequently recommends for fishing applications to select a battery with at least 950CCA.

While the 800CCA/1000MCA does meet engine only minimums, batteries in that range are not the best choice for fishing applications or heavy accessory use. When in doubt - BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Mine does the same thing and I have a huge battery ( more than the recommended amount ). I am going to purchase lithium batteries for the trolling motor ( which will open up some space ) and use one of the old trolling motor batteries in parallel with my starter battery so this nonsense will end.
    Not a suitable choice- parallel batteries need to be IDENTICAL or they will not last.

Also, the engine's systems are not designed to "maintain the fully charged state of ONE properly rated, fully-charged cranking battery".

Good idea to open a separate thread for more info/assistance on your engine (one engine per thread).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bullet 250- Check voltage AT THE BATTERY with the engine running, at idle and record results.

I agree 110% that you MUST upgrade to something better suited for your high-demand application (fishing application you WILL need 950+ CCA).

14. Member
    I'll try to do that, will have to get a tester to use, it's funny though, 99% after the first time I start it, then it starts just fine