Thread: SHEARWATER X22

SHEARWATER X22

Similar to a Sterling / Gambler BASSBOAT but it’s a center console with all the rigging as a tournament bass boat. It’s described as a crossover between a flats boat and a bay boat. I’d like to start a post on Rare boat brands if anyone is interested?
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

2. mikesxpress

I have the Sterling 22xs and it’s great for me , had mine built in 2011 , if I was ordering a new boat I’d go with the Shearwater x22 ,
    i used to own a Shearwater 25 LTZ and it was beautiful but bigger than I wanted . These boats have carbon fiber deck lids lining and I’m a big guy and never a problem. This company has the finest fiberglass work I’ve seen .

4. Member
    I’m coming from a Ranger Z21, I was looking for something more family friendly. Water skiing, tubing, rafting w the family all the family cruising activities including in shore Striper fishing off Cape Cod. I can’t wait to see the bass club guys in MA and NH when I show up in the all black hull, X22. It was tough to leave Ranger but I’ve fished on 2 Shearwater bay boats in FL and TX and thought someday I’ll get one of these. I bet it’s the only X22 in New England.
    designs, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVESWIMM View Post
    I’m coming from a Ranger Z21, I was looking for something more family friendly. Water skiing, tubing, rafting w the family all the family cruising activities including in shore Striper fishing off Cape Cod. I can’t wait to see the bass club guys in MA and NH when I show up in the all black hull, X22. It was tough to leave Ranger but I’ve fished on 2 Shearwater bay boats in FL and TX and thought someday I’ll get one of these. I bet it’s the only X22 in New England.
    I had a black Shearwater , they are beautiful .

Just looked them up, Sweet looking boat. If you ever bring it down near Plymouth Dave let me know. Would love to see one in person..

7. Member
    I looked hard at this boat last year as a good rough water bass boat for north Texas lakes. It’s a great layout and seems to be well built. I’m not sure how the ride would compare to any 21 plus foot bass boat.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Shearwater are some of the sexiest boats I’ve ever seen on the water! They look great just floating!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    I had 2 Sterling 220XS (same bottom as Shearwater X22). While it isn't as fast (mid 60's with a 250), it will outride any bass boat out there. Ive had rangers, skeeters, and a triton. Fantastic boat. I fished the college FLW and BASS tour out of it and it was great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg w.jpg (11.5 KB, 282 views)
    Last edited by linesider 159; 01-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post
    I had 2 Sterling 220XS (same bottom as Shearwater X22). While it isn't as fast (mid 60's with a 250), it will outride any bass boat out there. Ive had rangers, skeeters, and a triton. Fantastic boat. I fished the college FLW and BASS tour out of it and it was great
    We have the same thoughts , I bass fish with mine and love it .

11. Member
    Hi Pat, my boat is in W Bridgewater for a few weeks. I ran thru the cape cod canal yesterday. I was impressed how it handled in the rough water and againstvthe current and winds Buzzards bay too. I was thinking about Peters Pond some day after work. But othe ponds I’d like to learn about. Currently I’m looking to upgrade my prop to get more bassboat holeshot.
    designs, sometimes.

12. Member
    I’m trying to get more holeshot, currently running 250 sho with 24 pitch 4 blade bravo 1. What prop where you running??
    designs, sometimes.

13. Member
    I ran a 24 bravo fs (FS gives more lift). I also had negative trim wedges so I could trim down further for more control and quicker holeshot. I did a lot of testing with the factory on my boat, and when we added the negative wedges it made a nice difference.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

14. Member
    So far so good. 21 pitch Yamaha 4 blade pulled me out of the water fine on Saturday on Cape cod. I was not able to really test it completely. I had 2 extra passengers and a full tank of gas. The passengers were seated in front of the center console. The revs were a bit higher than before when the hull was just plowing thru the water. Let’s see this weekend.
    designs, sometimes.

15. Member
    I'm currently negotiating a new Shearwater X22 with a 250 SHO. I'm coming out of Phoenix 920 ProXP. Most of my fishing will still be for bass, with salt water outings in the Florida Keys, I live in South FL. I hear everyone saying they still love these boats for bass fishing. You guys don't feel it gets thrown around with the wind more, since it sits taller than a bass boat?
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

Are you buying new are used ?

17. Member
    Hi guy, As far as getting blown around it’s only the center console that catches some wind. The rest of my x22 sits as low as a Bassboat. I see a few bass fishing guides using the on Okeechobee. They are able to take more passengers safely and comfortably. If you do any family stuff w your boat you will love it
    designs, sometimes.

I can say one thing about Sterlings , it has 0 stress cracks in 10 years of me walking all over it .