Recipe for bear steak

A friend gave me a bear steak the other day. He has cooked one already in a frying pan with mushrooms, peppers and onion and did not like it at all.

Recipe ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Member
    Cut it into 1" cubes and put in the oven with a good beef stock. 275 degrees for 6 hours. In the last hour add 1 1/2 cups of white rice. Take it out and let it cool then feed it to your dog, he will love you for it. Also good for beef organs...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

3. Member
    I have had it when it was good and not so good. A big part of it is how the animal was processed once it was harvested. The good I had was all the fat was trimmed away from the meat to help remove the "gaminess" taste. Then it was cooked in a slow cooker with beef stock, red wine, spices and vegetables like a pot roast. The other time it was cooked like a beef steak and the buzzards would not have eaten it.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

4. Member
    Be sure to cook all the way through to prevent any risk of trichinosis.

5. Banned
    Season bear with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Grill on medium-low heat until meat is medium rare to medium. Crank up grill and sauté some mushrooms and onions. Bring all inside. Open trash can and place bear steak in it. Sit down and enjoy mushrooms and onions, as you ponder how bear can taste so damn bad.

6. Member
    I had some bear at a Izaak Walton cook out several years ago. Not sure how they cooked it but it was very good. Quite a night of elk, antelope, and other game.