1985 Ranger Weak Transom

I am brand new to BBC and I'm glad I found it. I purchased this boat for $2000 off of Craigslist in September. I have taken it out about 10 times since then and it has run great! However, I have noticed some flex in the transom lately. I did the hammer test and I believe it is rotten in some areas.

After doing some research, I feel like Seacast or some other kind of pourable is the way to go. I would preferably have a dealer install it; however, there are only 3 in all of Texas that can do it. Do you guys recommend this? Still open to having new plywood being put in instead. Has anyone had a dealer pour Seacast in the transom, and how much was it? Would like a ballpark number of how much it could cost before driving 4 hours round trip to get a quote. Thanks!

Boat is a 1985 320v. It is 16 feet. Here are some pics
    https://imgur.com/a/atffhGL

2. Member
    Post your question over at the Bassboat Restoration forum as well if you haven't already

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118

3. Member
    just did thanks a lot!

4. Member
    As you know first hand those boats still had wood in them, wasnt until a couple years later Ranger went to all composite construction.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangervalenti View Post
    As you know first hand those boats still had wood in them, wasnt until a couple years later Ranger went to all composite construction.
    I did some research and that's what I learned. I think it was 1987? Did you redo your 395's transom?

6. Member
    If you aren't planning on completing this job yourself I would consider getting rid of the boat. For what you paid for it you should be able to get that back out of it and save yourself the major headache and expense of pouring more money into the boat than what it is worth. That is just my .02, however once you get down into the transom you may find that you have wet and rotting stringers which is a whole different can of worms.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    If you aren't planning on completing this job yourself I would consider getting rid of the boat. For what you paid for it you should be able to get that back out of it and save yourself the major headache and expense of pouring more money into the boat than what it is worth. That is just my .02, however once you get down into the transom you may find that you have wet and rotting stringers which is a whole different can of worms.
    That's a good point, and I considered it, but I'm thinking I will keep it right now. I had a dealer inspect the entire boat today, and he said the stringers and floor were solid. Hopefully I can find someone who does this type of thing on the side, but it might be wishful thinking.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCaggie6 View Post
    I did some research and that's what I learned. I think it was 1987? Did you redo your 395's transom?
    I didn’t have to on mine, and it’s still solid.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCaggie6 View Post
    Late 1988 on,,,,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

1981 375V Ranger Restoration...

Take a look at this restoration. Later in the thread you see he repairs he's transom as well.

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Replaced transoms on 2 Rangers and 1 Skeeter...big job if done right/not a weekend job.. If you have the shop, tools,air tools, and body working/fiberglass skills, will turn out nice and be rewarding. Be prepared to invest $500 or more in materials. If a shop does it, most good ones will charge $1500 plus. Dont be tempted to do a temp fix/metal plate on transom-bracing inside-jerry rigging of any type. Not pretty when the transom fails and the motor tries to part ways with the boat and you at speed. Good luck.
    Last edited by omcforever; 01-23-2019 at 11:19 AM.

12. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    I couldnt sell it without disclosing the transom issue and everyone would run at $2000. Probably could sell it as a project boat at loss. I bet the prior owner never disclosed the rotted transom????