Mercury Optimax Storage Neglection

I'm the owner of a 2003 Mercury Optimax, I've always prepared the engine for winter storage myself, specifically pouring oil into each cylinder. Unfortunately this year winter came early and I've procrastinated to the point that I never got around to it. All other storage steps have been taken, fuel is stabilized and lower unit oil changed.

Given that it's mid January and the motor has been idle since October, is there any point in trying to get the oil into the cylinders? I would guess that there's already surface rust on the cylinder walls, I'm not convinced there's much point given the number of months the motors been idle.

I guess I'm also wondering about the risks in neglecting this for the first time in 15 years?

I've always heard that it's to fight rust forming on the cylinder walls but at the same time I find it interesting you do this to outboard engines but not to other type of combustion engines that sit idle for months at a time.

2. Member
    Couldn’t hurt to spray some fogging oil in each cylinder.

3. Member
    My 1999 Mercury sits for 4-5 months every year. Some years I remember to fog it and some years I don't. I always spray some in each cylinder before the first start up of the year. Never had any issues. Not saying thats best practice, just saying that I haven't been too worried about it.

4. Banned
    I would still pull plugs, and spray some in each cylinder. It'll be fine! Especially if you have been running stabilizer in gas lately. It'll help protect cylinder walls and internal parts also.

5. Member
    I make it a point to crank mine every 4 months and let it run for a few minutes. It is stored inside my block garage. I do nothing else other than the fuel treatment and have never had one problem after many years of service. Of course outside would be a different story.

6. Banned
    Do it now, and rotate the engine over by hand to spread it around.
    If the boat is in a place where it's hard to access the plugs and add oil, just turn the engine over by hand a couple of rotations to redistribute the tiny bit of oil that was on the cylinder walls from normal operation.

7. Banned
    From Don over on the Mercury page... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You were correct that Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor is not recommended for fogging EFI or Optimax Engines, for the reasons stated above.

However, use of Premium Plus (or even Optimax/DFI) oil in the cylinders is just fine.

Another method is offered as well, which involves a VERY, VERY oil and stabilizer rich fuel supply to the engine. However, it's time consuming (and the supplies are not something most every DIY'er would have on hand).

8. Banned
    Some of the spray fog oils can gum up the end of the direct injectors, as per Don.

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I would still pull plugs, and spray some in each cylinder. It'll be fine! Especially if you have been running stabilizer in gas lately. It'll help protect cylinder walls and internal parts also.
    Not fogging fluid, engine oil. Then turn 'er over a couple times and you're good. Good you ran treated fuel. I'm sure it would be OK without, but if you go out come spring and something happens along the line you'll always ask yourself, could I have avoided that $3000 repair by just doing what I thought I should have done.....save yourself.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Is there any risk of using fogging oil in the cylinders? I’m about to do it this afternoon on my E-Tec....too cold out to get it up to temp for the winterization. Can’t see it harming anything because it’s after the injector?

11. Member
    i pull plugs and spray into each cylinder then rotate motor some and spray again. watch that the straw doesn't blow into cylinder while spraying it!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by TommyToon View Post
    Is there any risk of using fogging oil in the cylinders? I’m about to do it this afternoon on my E-Tec....too cold out to get it up to temp for the winterization. Can’t see it harming anything because it’s after the injector?
    I can't speak to your question on the G2, but Merc says NO FOGGING oil in an Opti...engine oil only.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioFromOttawa View Post
    I'm the owner of a 2003 Mercury Optimax, I've always prepared the engine for winter storage myself, specifically pouring oil into each cylinder. Unfortunately this year winter came early and I've procrastinated to the point that I never got around to it. All other storage steps have been taken, fuel is stabilized and lower unit oil changed.

Given that it's mid January and the motor has been idle since October, is there any point in trying to get the oil into the cylinders? I would guess that there's already surface rust on the cylinder walls, I'm not convinced there's much point given the number of months the motors been idle.

I guess I'm also wondering about the risks in neglecting this for the first time in 15 years?

I've always heard that it's to fight rust forming on the cylinder walls but at the same time I find it interesting you do this to outboard engines but not to other type of combustion engines that sit idle for months at a time.
    I have the same motor and I live in maryland and it gets pretty cold some winters here. I have never done anything to winterize my bass boat and it sits outside since I bought my boat in 2003. In fact none of my buddies who own bassboats do any winterizing either. I do like to try to run it at least once every 30 -60 days in the winter just to keep the juices rolling and run gas through the motor. Now that said you live in canada and Im sure it gets colder up there. If you store your boat inside dont sweat it. I do trim my motor all the way down so water dont get in the prop area and freeze. hope this helps out. I do keep up with maintenace so I dont want you to think I dont do anything bc I do but as far as prepping for winte just keep her coverd up good.

14. Member
    I’m not a believer of winterizing. my boat is five years old and a friend has a 08 200 with 1200 hrs and noth sit for three or four months each winter. We do run quick clean.

Tommytoon yiur e-tec has a winterizing mode you can do that foggs the motor
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time