Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Live Scope Why Upgrade

Haven't been on this site for a while. Currently have panoptix, PS-30, and PS-31s on both boats and am very pleased. The 30 in concert with a Vexilar Edge excellent for vertical jigging. The 31 is on a Terrova, and I like for the range of scanning, etc. On the other boat, the 31 anchored on the transom pointed back for crankbait trolling.
    Not a newbie with panoptix. And blobs on the screen are excellent shows fish are in the area, bait, and structures. The Lowrance's on board boats, chirp do 3D-side

So in a few words what would I gain with the live scope? Range? Cone angle adjustment? Looks like identifying species of fish part of the plus to live scope.

Am thinking my experience with panoptix started when first came out thanks
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 01-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.

2. Member
    Detail?

Now sell me your 30. And hurry up before the new Raymarine Element comes out

3. Member
    Chief that is what I am thinking thanks

4. Member
    LWin has put up screenshots showing much improved bottom detail and seperation.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Atari to PlayStation is what I have seen

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    ....... before the new Raymarine Element comes out
    Glad to see Raymarine jumping in but it looks like a catchup move..... or almost catchup.

Already said... Detail. The biggest impact for me has been to push me into crappie fishing more. Schools that looked like bait schools on 2d and Panoptix now I'm seeing that many of them are schools of crappie. So now I've always got a crappie rod and box of lures in the boat - and catching more fish.

Can't say enough about seeing fish on or nearly on the bottom. Vexilar Edge3 is good, really good and for years regardless of what other brand I was using chirp or nonchirp, Bird, Lowrance, or Garmin, the Edge3 was #1. No more. It not a competitor to LiveScope. LiveScope sees closer. And if you have the range set to 70 ft (best setting), you can see over a range of 70 ft at one glance. With the Edge3 you are limited to the size of the cone and that is very small. This is game changing for jigging walleye. I'm not catching as many walleye though because I'm seeing more and distracted more. I'll have the range set to 100ft and be in deep water and see a school of spotted bass on an incline in 20 or 30 ft of water just off the bottom 80 ft away and fall to temptation. Next thing you know I've spent an hour catching Spots. Or point out in open water and see a school of big crappie and just can't turn it down. I can usually stay on the school too. I use the PS22 for that a lot, especially if they get away from me. I can set the range on it to 200 ft and even if it's windy, it's hard for them to get out of range.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-19-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    You guys are going to push me over the edge.

8. Member
    So another plus could be a distinction of one blob (po) from the other. Will live scope give bottom hardness? Hey Leonard are you selling your vexilar

9. Member
    Shooter, take heart. It's not all wild and glorious. Day before yesterday I saw a big school of big crappie. They were 10 ft deep and from front to back the school was 40 ft across. I'm in open water. Now before I make a cast, this is what has been the perfect situation. Limit is 20 and this means get a limit and get one most every cast. Problem is I'm not a real crappie fisherman. I use Bobby Garland Blue Ice or Black on 1/16 jig head and I have some homemade banana spoons about 1 1/4 inches in pearl and chartreuse that have worked well with the bigger ones. Now with a school this big you know that every cast you are in fish, especially when you feel it bump them. Stayed on this school for over an hour. Used all the named lures. Not one bite. A real crappie fisherman would have gotten a limit. The day before I did get a limit but not this trip. Feel better now?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    What I have seen super hard bottom is bright white yellow color crass is more orange and sticks up

11. Member
    You still have to catch them! Been there winchester! And it hurts to see what your not catching!

12. Member
    Yeap I was out yesterday with the PS22 fishing a favorite bridge. Searched each of the 5 bents 2 piling each and found crappie on only one of them. Man we’re they tight lipped. Took 4 hrs of jigging but finally caught 18. Three other boats trying the other pilling but neither was having any luck. I think one boat had 5.
    When I left it was a race between them to fill my spot. Funny watching them.

13. Member
    and then there's my scenario where Panoptix shows even fewer fish in my river than already thought LOL.

Nothing like having great tech but no fish

14. Member
    I really hate reading these posts, I should stay away!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    and then there's my scenario where Panoptix shows even fewer fish in my river than already thought LOL.

Nothing like having great tech but no fish
    Yeap and with all the new technologies you can expect less.

16. Member

Suspended open water crappie medicine. Smallest Rapala slab raps, Rapala rippin raps and Sebile flatt shads will hammer crappies. If they let you hold your boat over them. That and don't over work these lures. Blade baits such as Heddon sonars and Vibees also work again in the smaller sizes but not quite as well.

Work them with a 9 inch or so lift. This is the attention getter. After that follow with two subtle lifts or twitches as I call them. Pay attention to distance maintained by fish reacting to your lure by watching your MFD. In that say fish is at 16' and your lure is at 13' . 3' is what you try and maintain as it is the fishes comfort zone for that particular day.

Biggest mistakes beginners with these lures make. Overworking ( big lifts over 2' ) and holding lure at same level of fish. Prey does not stand still waiting to be eaten. When fish are convinced it is food. They will close and smack it. These lures are not seasonal. They work all year. One of my favorite ice baits.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

17. Member
    My post about the lure was meant to be helpful to LWinchester. But all welcome to info. Jumbo perch and slab crappie are what I pursue 99 % of the time. Thought I better explain why I posted about plugs. Don't want to hi-jack thread.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

18. Member
    Yes. And thank you. I'm sure it will help. My percentage for finding crappie is really high with this technology. But getting them to bite is a different matter. And the reason I prefer to fish for them in open water is I have better luck with those.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Yes. And thank you. I'm sure it will help. My percentage for finding crappie is really high with this technology. But getting them to bite is a different matter. And the reason I prefer to fish for them in open water is I have better luck with those.
    Curious, do you have stripers in any of the waters you fish Leonard? I know they school but I also know they move much faster than crappie.

20. Member
    No stripers yet. My lake is in transition. Blueback came in from upstream a few years ago and this year their population exploded. Biologist says it's the end for walleye. There's talk of stocking stripers but so far just talk. Some say the crappie will suffer too. LMB are already rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast