Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    No stripers yet. My lake is in transition. Blueback came in from upstream a few years ago and this year their population exploded. Biologist says it's the end for walleye. There's talk of stocking stripers but so far just talk. Some say the crappie will suffer too. LMB are already rare.
    I am unfamiliar with the term "blueback" except for sockeye salmon?

2. Member
    blueback herring, similar to alewife.
    Blueback feed on eggs and fry.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member

good observatio

[QUOTE=hays47;9968801]

Suspended open water crappie medicine. Smallest Rapala slab raps, Rapala rippin raps and Sebile flatt shads will hammer crappies. If they let you hold your boat over them. That and don't over work these lures. Blade baits such as Heddon sonars and Vibees also work again in the smaller sizes but not quite as well.

Work them with a 9 inch or so lift. This is the attention getter. After that follow with two subtle lifts or twitches as I call them. Pay attention to distance maintained by fish reacting to your lure by watching your MFD. In that say fish is at 16' and your lure is at 13' . 3' is what you try and maintain as it is the fishes comfort zone for that particular day.

Biggest mistakes beginners with these lures make. Overworking ( big lifts over 2' ) and holding lure at same level of fish. Prey does not stand still waiting to be eaten. When fish are convinced it is food. They will close and smack it. These lures are not seasonal. They work all year. One of my favorite ice baits.[/QUote

We see this when ice fishing vertical distance from fish to lure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12