Thread: RT188 or X18

RT188 or X18

I am looking at the RT188 and Xpress X18. With the boats having the same electronics,TM, and engine size the Xpress would cost about 2500 more. I am curious if anyone is familiar with both Ranger and Xpress and could share what their thoughts are in trying to decide between the two.

2. Member
    It came down to dealer support for me. The Xpress X Pro line has their hyper lift hull, thicker aluminum, and will carry heavier outboards. IMO the seating materials are not as plush. We have one local dealer that also stocks Skeeter. The problem is they cater to the pontoon crowd. I looked then, and just now, and while they are listed as an Xpress dealer they didn't have any in stock. They have a bunch of pontoons, one War Eagle, and one Skeeter. I choose dealer support when I bought my Ranger local.

If you have a great dealer near by ten YES Xpress makes a FANTASTIC aluminum boat...they are tanks!

3. Member
    I have both dealers (Xpress and Ranger) about 1 hr apart from me. Actually have 3 Xpress dealers within a few hours

The other thing is the Ranger has a Evinrude so it would have a 10yr warranty. The yamaha would have a 5 yr warranty

At least with the Xpress you could go up to a 150 if you wanted down the road. The RT is 8 in longer but limited to 115hp. I have the H18 and I love it.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Both look to be really nice boats. The Xpress is 18' and the Ranger is 18'8". You will have more front deck space with the Ranger. The Xpress will be a little faster. The Xpress is made out of thicker aluminum and can take any size jack plate if you want. You might check on rod storage length as well, with the Ranger being longer it might hold longer rods ? Is storage space a factor ? The Xpress might take a few inches less to store being it's shorter. Even tough I currently have a 2 stroke, if I was buying new a 4 stroke would be the only way I'd go. If you haven't yet, I'd take a couple rods and go look at both in person. Climb all over both and see what its like putting rods in the lockers and casting from the front deck. $2500 difference may also change when you actually go to hand them the check. They both are some really nice rigs.

6. Member
    I definitely need to do it with the rods. I just read the X18 can only fit 7 foot rods? Is that true?

7. Banned
    Xpress!

I owned a 2003 Xpress H51, and it was a nice boat!

8. Member
    What N2Ratfishin typed. Have fished in Xpress since 2007, an X17 and X19 and they are superb. My boat choice was based on an outstanding local dealer. The Rangers are very good, but the Xpress are great.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    I'm probably leaning towards the Xpress. For people with the Xpress do you like the extreme liner? I see benefits of it but also worry about sound and slipping.

10. Member
    I have Rangers version in my RT188, they call it Rawhide. I love it! It's soooooo easy to keep clean, no fuss at all. It IS noiser than not having carpet, especially when you are running in rougher water. The little nipples that cushion the lids wear over time. I've had my boat a couple of years now. The nipples will be easy to replace. You'll need to remember to lay your nice reels face up so you don't get rash on them. No more heavy wet carpet! No more worrying about grass or worm dirt if I am fishing for bream etc... just hose it out. Actually, the rain normally hoses it out LOL. It really isn't that slick, but I always wear shoes in the boat. I can see if you wore slick bottom shoes or fished bare foot in the rain where it could be slicker than thick carpet.

The best of all worlds would be to get the SeaDek installed. I think Xpress offers that option.

11. Member
    I have fished out of an Xpress many times and own a Ranger 198P. The fit and finish of the Ranger far outshines the Xpress in my opinion. I do like the hull thickness of the Xpress plus it is far and away a faster platform given it will have a higher horsepower rating. Ranger has stellar customer service and if you have a good dealer they will always take care of you if something goes wrong. Xpress is a great boat, however it is noisier than my Ranger and I believe that due in part to the foam used in the Ranger hull. I dont think you can go wrong with either boat, however if you are looking at re-sale down the road I would choose Ranger. Plus it's hard to beat the customer service aspect over the life of your ownership.

12. Member
    One thought I forgot: With the TM down, there is no difference. Now running a creek with sharp turns, the Xpress is FAR superior. It runs and handles like a glass boat. Synthetic deck coatings - I had a CC Triumph PVC boat and the deck got hot in the summer.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    My Rawhide deck is MUCh cooler in the summer than any carpet I have had. One of my team boats I ordered with light tan carpet. That one was about as cool as you can get with carpet, but man was it a ROYAL PITA to keep clean!