Optimax Max rpm alarm?

One question on alarm system. Will my 2005 Optimax sound alarm when it reaches maximum rpm's of 5750? I installed new repaired and blueprinted prop from Mark Croxton and during run to WOT I reached 5800 rpms (Analog tachometer)and alarm sounded (Continuous Beep). I backed off a bit rpms dropped and alarm stopped sounding. This is the only time I've ever heard alarm since I have owned boat (Except for startup). I'm going return prop to Mark for some adjustment to lower rpms a bit just if I was correct on alarm. Thanks for your information in advance.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

2. Member
    This is the ONLY way to accurately diagnose your fault.....

Click on this >>>>

3. Member
    Savage,
    I read through this sticky a couple times before posting my question. I did not see any mention of any alarm in Don's sticky for an alarm when reaching maximum motor rpms. I'll get an answer with motor diagnostics.

4. Member
    There is NO way to know EXACTLY what caused the alarm without checking the faults. Anything else is a guess.

5. Member
    To answer your question. Yes you will get a solid alarm if your on the rev limiter and hold it there. It will even slow you down if you don’t let off the throttle.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wayne View Post
    To answer your question. Yes you will get a solid alarm if your on the rev limiter and hold it there. It will even slow you down if you don’t let off the throttle.
    This would be the case with the Original Poster's engine, but is NOT the case on most newer product.

The link regarding the Warning Horn IS INDEED the correct/accurate answer, as it is the only real way of knowing (unless you have a Smartcraft Instrument that is physically advising you of what the fault is at the time it is occurring).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wayne View Post
    This would be the case with the Original Poster's engine, but is NOT the case on most newer product.

The link regarding the Warning Horn IS INDEED the correct/accurate answer, as it is the only real way of knowing (unless you have a Smartcraft Instrument that is physically advising you of what the fault is at the time it is occurring).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks for your replys. I'm getting a diagnostic test while it is at the shop.