Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still no new birds in Oklahoma.

Hunted today watching very quiet ducks fight the wind, shy away from decoys and calling.
    Guide confirmed that no new birds have arrived in Oklahoma as of 1-18-2019!
    maybe that will change tomorrow and for states east of here with this big front since it came from the north.
    10 days of duck season left with one youth day a week later for the grandson.

I hope the front pushes some birds down this way... This season has been terrible here in western ky
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

It’s been a bad season. Haven’t seen a whole lot in our area. I finally said heck with and hunted this morning before work for the first time all season. With the lack of birds and a newborn, I just haven’t made it out. I found a small pocket holding about 15 mallards yesterday. Set up this morning to have 1 group of mallards show up and a lone goose. Just before I picked up decoys at 730, 3 ring necks came to play. As they were swimming in the decoys, I debated whether to shoot or not. Usually just pass on them and hold out for other birds. Then they made the decision for me when they got in a tight group. I water swatted all three with one shot.

Last edited by MikeSouza; 01-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.

4. Member
    I am leaving in a bit up to my place and hunt em in the corner field. It's been definitely a rough year and they won't make it down there just isn't enough time left. I have seen it locked up for a month before the big push of mallards even shows up.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son and his 8 friends got 22 geese this morning. 2022.jpg
    Last edited by Roddy; 01-20-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Nice pic and a limit at least.

7. Banned
    Geese honking woke me up this morning.

Saw more birds today than I did last Friday. Was covered in ring necks for the first 20 minutes this morning. About 5 min after LST I had around 30 swimming in the decoys. After they flared, I had group after group come in. While waiting on the mallards to come play, I had 50 ring necks swimming all around the decoys. I just sat back and watched them, hoping they get those late season mallards to commit. They did a great job at bringing in a good group of green heads to finish out the morning. Hopefully Saturday will be just as good to finish the season out.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son and his friend limited on geese Monday. Lucky dogs as all 6 geese were wearing jewelry.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Member
    A few new birds have shown up since Saturday for the last week of duck season here. Going to take grandson for Saturday and Sunday hunts and hope to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    My son and his friend limited on geese Monday. Lucky dogs as all 6 geese were wearing jewelry.
    Congrats to your boy. Lucky dogs are high rolling with all that bling.

Today was quite a bit slower. Didn’t see as many birds. The mallards were very wary and wouldn’t commit. Finished out my limit at 9:15. I still have yet to see and teal or gadwall year. Today was my closure as I can’t make it out tomorrow.

Hope you you all had a good shoot today and good luck to those hunting tomorrow.

Fairly slow season here in NC. Had a good push of birds at first of the week but today was foggy and no wind. Wrapped it up and ready to start back trout fishing.

Did get a band on Monday
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

14. Member
    Good hunts to finish the season on a guided hunt with friend out west.
    good numbers of birds. Guide said he talked to his buddies in Mex and was told the birds left a week ago to go back north.
    That is why all the teal and pintails have shown back up he says and I believe him. We saw lots of big groups of green wings but none with bands!
    it made for a fun shoot and a great time outdoors on the last day of the season.
    grandson had a great time and went through a lot of shells.

now on to fishing and golf, in that order.

15. Member
    We killed widgeon and gadwall too. Saw several big bunches of Canvasbacks rocketing around and slamming down. Really fun to watch. We let them go untouched.

Lost a a good friend who passed while duck hunting-without suffering. Good friend I met many years ago who was a hunter and fisherman who was a tough outdoorsman and good friend. Enjoy each and all of your days.
    Last edited by Bearetta; 01-29-2019 at 07:30 PM.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Done here. Worst season I can remember.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Member
    One more hunt tomorrow with two grandsons. youth day for waterfowl hunting.
    guide has 4000 or so on a slough that now has been rested for 5 days.
    this one should be fun to watch.

18. Member
    https://www.flywayfederationusa.com/...and-documents/

Do a little reading and decide if you believe in some of these issues with regards to duck hunting.

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore 1 View Post
    https://www.flywayfederationusa.com/...and-documents/

Do a little reading and decide if you believe in some of these issues with regards to duck hunting.
    I have first had observation of the Goose migration stopping. The three refuges near where I grew up went from having a million Geese in Jan in the early 70s to may be a few thousand by 2000. The lack of migration corresponds with supplemental feed andwide spread no till farming.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Done here. Worst season I can remember.
    It's the carp. Gotta be the carp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast