Bad Piston - 2010 SHO 225

Took my SHO in for service. A spark plug showed oil burn (and I had had to add oil between service). Further inspection with a scope showed piston damage.

It seems I have four options and thought I would throw it out to see what you guys have to say.

#1 - Put in new plugs and run it to its death. ($0 + $? tomorrow?)
    #2 - Sleeve the bad piston ($5,000)
    #3 - New Powerhead ($11,000)
    #4 - Repower ($20,000)

Here is my narrative. I absolutely love the boat (Skeeter 225) pushed by this motor. And, I am not one who needs new stuff so I am not really looking to trade up. With that said...while I can afford any option above, I just do not want to invest a huge chunk of money into a nine-year-old rig.

I am leaning toward having the piston sleeved.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    Option 1 will buy you some time untill it eventually becomes option 3 which is as good as option 4 at half the price.

3. Member
    The SHO uses a flame sprayed in cylinder liner. Where did you get the $5000 price for a cylinder repair?

Yamaha does not consider the block to be repairable but in practice, particularly in other applications, the cylinder wall can be stripped and re-flame sprayed.

2010 were the trouble motors in the 250. Have you reached out to Yamaha to see if they would help you out with your 225

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

5. Member
    My dealer did reach out. Keeping it short...this was one of the first SHO's and it had - shall we say - issues. Replaced the powerhead in 2013? Entire lower unit soon thereafter? Did some other stuff. Today Yamaha said that the replaced head was six years old and nothing they could do. As poorly as this engine has treated me, I still believe in it. I love its holeshot and performance. Call me an enabler.

6. Member
    My dealer found someone who would insert the sleeve. It would not have the coating of the originals but it would be the same size; not overbore. I am starting to sound like I have a clue of what I am talking about. I don't. Just like a very sick man begins to understand Doctor talk. That is never a good sign.

#1 until it lets go then #4. There is no way I would put an $11K powerhead on a troubled motor. I would however make sure I have towing on my insurance or Seatow membership.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    If your comfortable spending the money I would just run it till it pops. I don’t think I’d do a sleeve Incase you sell. Then it’s someone buying a 30k + boat that may only last 6 months

9. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I would call Hydro-Tec I know they have rebuilt some I dont know if you can resleave a sho......new power head with warranty my sugestion

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998