Thread: Which unit?

Which unit?

I know this is like asking what’s better...Ford or chevy, but I need some input. I’ll be rigging a new boat in February and I’m torn between depth finders. First of all, I’m stuck on Minn Kota trolling motors. So that isn’t an option. My dilema is trying to determine whether or not I should go with a Humminbird in order to get the linking capability.

The current unit on my boat is a Humminbird 597. So, any change will be a huge upgrade. Everyone in my club uses and swears by Lowrance. So I was dead set on going that direction. I had somewhat decided on a Carbon 12. But I keep coming back and thinking about the Humminbird in order to get the linking. But, I can’t decide it
    if its really that useful for the the fishing I do, trolling and down lining for stripers. However, some of the side imaging pictures I see from Humminbird have unreal detail...

So, is the linking worth it to go with the Humminbird? Or do I stick with the original direction which is Lowrance?

if I was buying it would be a bird or maybe a garmi before lowrance. I have lowrance's now, and plan to switch them out for birds.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Banned
    If using MinnKota, go Humminbird

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    if I was buying it would be a bird or maybe a garmi before lowrance. I have lowrance's now, and plan to switch them out for birds.
    why the switch?

5. Member
    Ford of course!!!!!
    lol
    L O W R A N C E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

6. Member
    I have had Lowrance for the last 15 years so I know the functionality of them and am comfortable with them. I think Hummingbird makes a good product as well but I don't know the functionality or there terminology so I stick with Lowrance.

Garmin is the only real choice but if you must have the link then Bird for sure.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Garmin Panoptix Livescope

Bird, Lowrance or Garmin any is good. I have used Birds since the early 80’s and added a Lowrance about 4 years ago. Since you have a MK go with the Bird.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by buddy48 View Post
    why the switch?
    Spent time in a buddy's boat with a new bird, was far easier for me to pick up how to use. Not to mention I liked the data display better.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Spent time in a buddy's boat with a new bird, was far easier for me to pick up how to use. Not to mention I liked the data display better.
    I think the Birds are more user friendly also.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Member
    Thanks for all the input. But, I think I’ve decided against the Terrova with the ipilot link. I’m not convinced that it’ll help me at all in my style fishing. And, the cost of the trolling motor is $600 more. That’ll buy my onboard battery charger and a battery.

That still leaves me with deciding on Lowrance or Humminbird. I spent yesterday going to outdoor stores and played with a Carbon and a Helix. But, they aren’t comparable to me. I really love the touch screen of the Carbon. The advantage I have with Humminbird is that I could fly through all the settings etc. 10 years later and the software interface is almost identical on the Humminbird. I hope to be able to get some time playing with a Solix. Maybe that’ll help me figure out which way to go.

I hope that the 2D sonar on the newest Solix unit is improved. I really seem to use 2D more than I probably should. If it has improved or I think I can get it tuned, I’ll definitely I’ll go the Humminbird route since the SI and DI re so much better.