1993 Johnson 150 Starter Failure

I went fishing in my Ranger with my brother Wednesday and Thursday this week only to have starting problems with my 1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series VJ150ELATR.

On Wednesday, the HDS7 at the bow
    acted like it had a voltage issue and started flashing the start up script while we were fishing. Then the engine would not turn over when we were ready to return to the boat ramp. We suspected the starting battery was dead. We could not hear the starter solenoid clicking and the engine crank at all. Also, none of the gauges came to life when the ignition switch was turned.

We used the trolling motor to get to a dock to tie off while we did some trouble shooting. I was able to wire the engine cables to one of the trolling motor batteries and the engine started. Once home I replaced the starting battery since it was a 2009 battery anyway. Everything was working again. GREAT!

On Thursday, when we launched the boat, it started easily. But after we backed away from the dock and stopped the motor for a moment, it would not start again. It was like the day before. I thought maybe the ignition switch must be bad but the gauges all worked properly with the switch turned on and the depth finder was working fine. We just fished near the ramp all day using the trolling motor.

At home we did some trouble shooting and found the solenoid was working just fine. When it was energized by turning the ignition switch, it would make click and voltage appeared at the starter motor terminal. The starter was bad.

The reason I posted this is to show how it failed. The symptoms really led me astray. When I removed the bottom cover from the starter to inspect the brushes this is what I found.

20190117_151937 (Custom).jpg

20190117_165902 (Custom).jpg

20190117_165906 (Custom).jpg

The brushes on the positive side were actually gone with only the leads still there. That is probably what had caused the 10 year old battery to drain and to finally give up. I thought about just replacing the brushes, but the commutator is very worn where the brushes touch. I ordered a new starter and solenoid since I am a huge fan of reliability.

Anyway, I just wanted to share since I almost ruined two fishing trips.
    1994 Ranger 374V/1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series VJ150ELATR

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    18 y/o starter did it's job....

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    10 year old cranking battery?

4. Member
    Yes, that battery was a 2009 Everstart cranking/deep cycle group 24M battery. I knew it was going to fail someday anyway so I really did not mind replacing it.
    1994 Ranger 374V/1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series VJ150ELATR

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy2work View Post
    Yes, that battery was a 2009 Everstart cranking/deep cycle group 24M battery. I knew it was going to fail someday anyway so I really did not mind replacing it.
    Wow! That's a lot of years out of a 24M battery. The Lowrance HDS7 requires good power. They are known to flash off and reset when the power drops below 12.4V. I'd say you've done very well with that battery and starter. You got your moneys worth out of both.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."