G2 with or without jackplate?

I had a G2 installed but the dealer said that this motor already had a 4" setback and doesn't really need a jackplate. This fact is confirmed in the Evinrude literature, but i am thinking I am losing out on some performance and economy without one. Should I add a jackplate and what length would you recommend? This is a 150 H.O.

The most accurate answer to your questions about setback and jackplates would be from the boat manufacturer. If that cannot be accomplished, then it will be trial and error to figure out the most efficient setback distance for your rig.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    I assume your G2 150 HO has the integrated hydraulic steering what is your exact model number? I hung a G2 150HO with the TRAC+ midsection on a 6” jackplate using my existing Seastar hydraulic steering. In my opinion a jackplate, even a 2” unit, will improve your performance assuming you are running a bass boat hull. You need the height adjustment capability.

4. Member
    I assume your G2 150 HO has the integrated hydraulic steering what is your exact model number? I hung a G2 150HO with the TRAC+ midsection on a 6” jackplate using my existing Seastar hydraulic steering. In my opinion a jackplate, even a 2” unit, will improve your performance assuming you are running a bass boat hull. You need the height adjustment capability.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I agree...just deduct 4" from the hulls recommended set back. JMHO

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Many bass hulls only carry recommendations of 8” maximum setback, so you could be missing some—but not an awful lot of—performance by having only half that with a G2. The frustrating part, if that’s not too strong a term, is that jack plate manufacturers keep the prices for “skinny” plates very close to the prices for models with twice the setback. Something to keep in mind for those who can now use only a much smaller plate with their G2. Not as much bang for your buck.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I think the benefits you will get from being able to dial in Prop 2 Pad far outweigh the extra setback, but that is a bonus as well.

Every rig, prop, load, etc can be optimized by being able to move engine height up and down
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Great advice

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I think the benefits you will get from being able to dial in Prop 2 Pad far outweigh the extra setback, but that is a bonus as well.

Every rig, prop, load, etc can be optimized by being able to move engine height up and down
    Thanks for all the well informed ideas. I do have my garaged 10 inch plate that was on my Sabre so I want to swap it out for a 4 inch one just to be able to dial in the perfect prop to pad adjustment. Currently I'm just not greatly pleased by the boat's performance compared to the opti that I was running.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Thanks for all the well informed ideas. I do have my garaged 10 inch plate that was on my Sabre so I want to swap it out for a 4 inch one just to be able to dial in the perfect prop to pad adjustment. Currently I'm just not greatly pleased by the boat's performance compared to the opti that I was running.
    So you're running it on a Sabre with no jackplate currently? What is that is down on, holeshot or topend? What did you have with opti and what prop now with G2?

In my case, my boat performs much better without a jackplate. I could probably use a 2 inch plate but the one plate available that is advertised as a 2” is a 3” when you actually measure it. I don’t think a 2” or 3” setback would improve performance over what I have now but it would be nice to be able to raise the motor when trailered and parked with the motor trimmed down. Mounted to the transom I have a prop to pad of 2.75”. The boat handles great and my top end has exceeded all expectations. If I wanted an extra few more mph, i have no doubt it would be achievable by going up an inch in pitch but it’s just not a priority right now.

Also, not having a plate is one less expense, one less thing to maintain and one less thing to futz with. KISS certainly applies in my particular situation. So, contrary to popular opinion, not everyone needs a jackplate.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I believe your champ has a built in setback on the hull, some rigs have sponsons (SP) and could use the 2-4" jackplate......JMHO

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I believe your champ has a built in setback on the hull, some rigs have sponsons (SP) and could use the 2-4" jackplate......JMHO
    His 201 is pretty much the same as mine bud! Remember that magical ride we had on G'ville with the 200?? I had to F with it and lost that loving feeling. The early champs were designed to run great with the motor slapped right on the transom.