Thread: Go BIG or ?????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teadow1972 View Post
    At the end of the day its budget and personal opinion. I have buddy who has 16" flush at console, but my 12" on mount is actually closer to me and easier to use at the console. The 2 graph set up isn't for people to run 6 or 8 individual screens, its to run one big one for ease of eyesight typically designating one for mapping only. You will find every unit and size has its benefits based on what you want to see and use. I run 2-12" Lowrance units personally. One at console and one at bow. I chose 12's simply for the ability to see better.
    How did he mount a 16" flush at the console?? I got a 9 up front and an old gen 2 10 and a touch 9 at the console...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I think that is what it boils down to - at some point the human eye can only discern so much detail. Both great units but the 15 is a little nicer to run a three pane view and then 2 finger touch to any one pane to go full screen.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    May be too big...

Umm yeah... hard pass. I don't want driving my boat to resemble me sitting at my desk at work lol.

Nitro Z21, 2017 with a lowrance 12, 2019 with a lowrance 16.

2019_16.jpg

Precision Mount.jpg
    Last edited by BMCD; 01-22-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    One thing that has been an issue for me was processing power when I have one unit at the console and having 4 active panes at once on the same screen. It wasn't an issue when the graph was the latest available but over time with new features and new software updates the processor struggled to keep up. That's when I moved my bow graph to a dual mount at the console to split up load. (Got a bigger new grah for the bow)

The newer units today have more processor horse power but I'm sure there will come a day when these get overwhelmed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    One thing that has been an issue for me was processing power when I have one unit at the console and having 4 active panes at once on the same screen. It wasn't an issue when the graph was the latest available but over time with new features and new software updates the processor struggled to keep up. That's when I moved my bow graph to a dual mount at the console to split up load. (Got a bigger new grah for the bow)

The newer units today have more processor horse power but I'm sure there will come a day when these get overwhelmed as well.
    The LIVE unit is blazing fast compared to gen2s and 3s....I'm sure the LiveSonar will be processor intensive when it comes out
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
    Holy crap, guys! When will it end? You might as well have 32” flat screen tv’s!
    Can we get a dual mount for two of them??
    Boatless

8. Member
    I will stick with my 2 7's. Maybe upgrade in a couple years but those movie screen sizes just don't do it for me.......10" maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    I will stick with my 2 7's. Maybe upgrade in a couple years but those movie screen sizes just don't do it for me.......10" maybe?
    I hear ya....I am upgrading from 2 7s at the bow.....became too tough to see, I'm gettin old! LoL
    Boatless

10. Member
    Consoles need to be redesigned before 16" graphs make sense. Boats need to go the way of Tesla where everything is run off of the electronics. There's no reason for separate gauges when you have a screen that big. But for that to happen there will have to be a partnership between the sonar companies and the boat companies.

Quote Originally Posted by setme31 View Post
    Consoles need to be redesigned before 16" graphs make sense. Boats need to go the way of Tesla where everything is run off of the electronics. There's no reason for separate gauges when you have a screen that big. But for that to happen there will have to be a partnership between the sonar companies and the boat companies.

So you can already do all that....where ya been???
    Boatless

12. Member
    I'm aware, but yet all of the consoles are still full of gauges. If you want to make graphs that big everything else on the console needs to go. Consoles at this point should be built around the graphs. They are the hub to the entire boat, but still treated as an add-on.

I'm aware, but yet all of the consoles are still full of gauges. If you want to make graphs that big everything else on the console needs to go. Consoles at this point should be built around the graphs. They are the hub to the entire boat, but still treated as an add-on.
    point taken
    Boatless

14. Banned
    Agree.

15. Member
    I run one 12 on the bow and one 12 on the starboard side of the console . I think its a perfect setup coming from a 10 and a 7. Plus it was easier on the wallet!
    If I cant see those screens then I definitely will have other issues like tying knots!

16. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I've been contemplating all this talk about which size for what part of my boat and how many for a while now. And since technology has finally caught up into our industry as far as quality of graphics and what electronics are now capable of compared to other areas of computing etc. it makes it even harder to nail down a "perfect" system on a ass boat. Just because the pro's have 4 units on their boats doesn't mean we have to "keep up with the Jones".

A few basic and important points were raised here....obviously cost, space on the bow or console, AGE related vision (I fall into this) and COST. Right now I have a Gen 3 9 in dash, a Carbon 12 next to the console mounted on the gunnel and a gen 3 12 upfront. I need glasses for reading and close proximity so there's no way I'm giving up my 12 up front and I have it on a 12" balzout mount to raise it up. The 12 next to the console is great but I still have to tilt my head up slightly to look thru the reading portion to read the graph nad I hate that. The 9 in dash is perfect level so there's where i can justify a 12 or even a 16 to be mounted for several reasons.

A 16 has the ability to view multiple panes for all my needs. A 12 will work too so it's personal preference if your budget allows. The 12 up front is perfect if the mount raises it up enough to accommodate guys like me that need it.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    May be too big...

I like this!!!!!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I like this!!!!!!!
    You actually like the way it looks or just the size??
    Boatless

19. Member
    I like everything about it. Like the way it looks.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    I run a Carbon 16 and Onix 10 on the console and an Onix 10 at the bow. Wouldn’t trade the 16 for anything!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast