Med Depth Crankbaits Rod

I have had a terrible time finding a rod to throw mid depth crankbaits on. Im talking 10-14 ft range. Some may consider that deep cranking. DT10, DT 14, 5XD. I just havent found a rod that I really like. I am not looking to spend a crazy amount on a cranking for but in that $150-200 range would be good. Any suggestions.

I don't crankbait fish a lot but I am wanting to get better at it.

2. Member
    What exactly are you having problems with, regarding the rods you’ve already tried? Too heavy? Too light? Casting distance?

Have you tried the Bass Pro Crankin Sticks? I’ve heard a lot of good things about the newer models. I’ve got one of the first generations 7’ MH that I use to throw big topwaters with. It would be ok throwing a 5xd or maybe a DT14, but could be a bit too much rod for a DT 10.

3. Member
    I have tried a Lews MH Moderate 7'3 and i just don't like the feel of it. No sensitivity. A tad light. I also have a Megabass Launcher that's too much rod for a DT10. I love it for heavier crankbaits but its too heavy to chunk these smaller crankbaits all day. I have tried a few other rods that wouldnt be considered cranking rods and I found out why real quick.

this is my personal favorite for squarebills and smaller medium divers

https://www.kistlerrods.com/store/kl...shing-rod.html

5. Member
    St croix legend tournament bass 7'8 MH mod action. I've gone through sooooo many crank rods and keep coming back to this for 10-16ft cranks

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d want to know what you’ve thrown and what your problems were with the rods you’ve used?? Feel, strength, hook up ratio?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    I have had a terrible time finding a rod to throw mid depth crankbaits on. Im talking 10-14 ft range. Some may consider that deep cranking. DT10, DT 14, 5XD. I just havent found a rod that I really like. I am not looking to spend a crazy amount on a cranking for but in that $150-200 range would be good. Any suggestions.

I don't crankbait fish a lot but I am wanting to get better at it.
    Do you have the first or second generation XX Launcher?

Obviously you don't have a problem with a 7'11" rod for these applications, but what is the shortest you'd want? 7'6"?

There are a lot of rods out there in your price range that handle those baits nicely, but a little more information would be helpful!

Hammer 7'6" MH Cranking Rod. I throw from 7 to 16+ ft with mine, casts extremely far, and is very sensitive. Tackle Trap can give you some great info and prices on them too!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

9. Banned
    I use a Vexan Pro Bass Rods 7ft 4in cranking rod for my medium diving crankbaits. It has become my favorite rod in my lineup. I have searched for a long time to find the perfect rod to throw 1.5dd's, dt10s, 3xds, etc and this is the one. It has the perfect amount of bend and backbone for medium diving crankbaits. I highly recommend checking them out https://vexan.com/product/vexan-pro-bass-fishing-rods/

10. Scraps
    Powell has a new MAX coming out, 754CB that would probably fit the bill. I have an Endurance 724CB which is probably a little overmatched for the 10-14DDs. There is a hole in the lineup for those baits IMO. Powell has a 755CB that is nice, maybe just a little too stiff for cranking deep, but can work. In the 3D line, if you can find it, would work. The 3D is a little more foregiving than the new Endurance.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Powell has a new MAX coming out, 754CB that would probably fit the bill. I have an Endurance 724CB which is probably a little overmatched for the 10-14DDs. There is a hole in the lineup for those baits IMO. Powell has a 755CB that is nice, maybe just a little too stiff for cranking deep, but can work. In the 3D line, if you can find it, would work. The 3D is a little more foregiving than the new Endurance.
    2019 Powell Max rods.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    St croix legend tournament bass 7'8 MH mod action. I've gone through sooooo many crank rods and keep coming back to this for 10-16ft cranks
    Excellent cranking rod. The SC Avids are also great crankbait Rods that fit the OP’s price range. 7’ MH Avid Crankbait rod.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    I would take a look at the Daiwa Tatula Elite Glass crankbait rods. They have a 7'4 and an 8' model that would suit your needs. They are the Ehrler models.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

14. Banned
    7’6” Hammer mh cranking rod. Throws 3/8 -3/4 oz perfectly and I will go up to 1oz if I need to but that’s pushing it at that point.

Dobyns 764CB RM - basically purpose built for mid-running crankbaits... I've switched all my bottom contact/feel rods over from Dobyns to NRX, but am still using the Dobyns Champion XP Crankbait rods, Gary definitely has the crankbait rods dialed in. If you prefer glass then the 765CB Glass (graphite/glass composite) is very popular as well.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Do you have the first or second generation XX Launcher?

Obviously you don't have a problem with a 7'11" rod for these applications, but what is the shortest you'd want? 7'6"?

There are a lot of rods out there in your price range that handle those baits nicely, but a little more information would be helpful!

I have the first generation Launcher. I love to throw 6XDs and 5XDs on it. I should probably have left off the 5XD in my originial post. I really had looking for a crankbait rod that handles DT 10, Strike King 5 and 6 series crankbaits. That 10-14 foot range. Anything in that 7'3 to '7'5 range would be good.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Dobyns 764CB RM - basically purpose built for mid-running crankbaits... I've switched all my bottom contact/feel rods over from Dobyns to NRX, but am still using the Dobyns Champion XP Crankbait rods, Gary definitely has the crankbait rods dialed in. If you prefer glass then the 765CB Glass (graphite/glass composite) is very popular as well.

I am looking at this one. I have heard good things.

18. Member
    I have a Denali Kovert Lite 7ft6 md hvy cranking rod that is awesome for those mid depth cranks. Also it's only like $150.