Thread: Gelcoat people

Gelcoat people

What is the best approach to repairing this two hairline cracks? Also, I have completely wetsanded the boat since taking these photos. I have the pro-tec product but a little confused on the process. Should I do a rubbing compound and glaze then use the sealer and wax from the pro-tech kit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I am no expert, but I have the same thing on the cockpit of my boat and asked on the lounge if anyone had used a product I found on line called MagicEZY Hairline Fix and one fellow responded that he had used it on his boat and it worked very well. Their web site has info on it, but he cautioned not to use the end of the tube as the site suggested to scrap it over the crack, but instead us a putty knife. The procedure is simple, just V shape the crack a little, apply the product, push it in with the putty knife (maybe two applications), then when it dries he said he wet sanded it with 2K grit and it looked great. It comes in a variety of colors and Amazon sells it. The company calls it a nanotechnology product. The reviews on Amazon are all over the map, but the fellow who responded to me was even experienced at spraying on gelcoat, so I think he knows what he is doing. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Rubbing compound after wet sanding. Not sure about the glaze and sealer but wax is last.

You can try the product discribed above however about the only way to insure the crack is repacked and won’t come back is to grind it out to see if the crack goes into the glass “most do” then re-glass, filler, then spay gel. After wet sanding buff with a 3000 grit compound that finials as a polish and a white wool cutting pad then a product like the ProTec Sealant Polish.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Hairline fix won't work. I have a stratos top cap that has many of those hairline cracks. Crank68 is correct from what I have researched. You can spend thousands of dollars and no guarantee they wont come back. As far as the Hairline stuff, I took quite a bit of time in working with that stuff. It will fill the crack initially but when the gel expands and contracts it pushes it right out.

6. Member
    Good comments. On my cockpit I am going to look at covering it with a wrap after I fill the cracks.