Thread: Optimax noise?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have done the yearly maintenance twice since I purchased boat. I've changed fuel filter, cleaned thermostats and lower unit fluid twice. I have replaced spark plugs, replace water impellor and gaskets, replaced fuel line from tank to motor and replaced alternator belt once. I also have been using Don's cocktail since purchasing the boat in Sept. 2017. I do not have a smart gauge so I do not know the water temperature with motor alarmed, but the water pressure was 20 psig plus when I reached almost WOT Friday morning.
    I plan on taking it to a Merc dealer for diagnostics, compressor replacement and fuel system cleaning, testing and calibrating.

The reason I asked about beep was it occurred and cleared corresponding with the engine rpms. I had already read through sticky Savage pointed out to me at least twice trying to see if there was anything related to reaching governor speed on motor. I've owned and did the regular maintenance on Mercury's for the last 30 or so years. My dad and uncle fished and maintained their boats and taught me to do the same.

Trying to make the decision where to take for repair today or in the morning when I can reach European marine by phone. I have two local Mercury authorized dealers and service shops very close to me. And after speaking to one of the owners yesterday of the dealership at a local club tournament and asking about his fuel system cleaning he might very well send to European Marine. He didn't tell the name of the business where he sends the system, but stated he had kind of thought about doing on site before but could never justify spending the money for system. He did say he charged $250 for the fuel system cleaning.
    Thanks for your advice and insight on my current issue.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

2. Member
    Excellent... Some folks buy these motors and have no clue what their getting into. I was one of those so I try to help when I can. The only thing I would do other than what you have done so far is to put the smart Guage in. The temperature is an excellent way to tell the health of the engine when on the water. But I am sure u know that already. Best wishes. Let us know what the final diagnosis is.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenroadie View Post
    I called two times this afternoon and it went to voicemail both times. I stopped by Mercury dealer in town on the way home. Mechanic watch video and said it looked like the compressor bearings were failing. How much does a new compressor job cost?
    Be glad to help you- it is not always possible to drop other calls where we may be assisting another customer (leaving a voicemail helps to put us in touch).

No doubt that compressor is done- replace with a new OEM compressor, replace the Return Oil Line Filters, and have the rails, hoses, injectors and direct (air) injectors professionally cleaned, validated and tested BEFORE running the engine again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don. I ended up taking to one of the recommended dealerships here in Augusta, Ga since you are also 2.5 hours away from me. Service department manager called me yesterday afternoon and stated it appeared top bearing on compressor had failed and compressor needed to be replaced. He stated discharge of compressor was clean and fuel system did not need to be cleaned. I asked him about cleaning my fuel system and he recommended not cleaning it because it did not need it. He also said they had never sent off Optimax systems for cleaning that they only normally clean the screens on injectors and then reinstall. I'm really confused now because these folks service bunches and bunches of Mercury's and this not what I have been reading on this site and forum. I'll try to connect with you again this morning to discuss. I do not want to replace compressor and then fail motor because of something that was overlooked. Thanks for your advice.

5. Member
    What screens on the injectors? There are screens [filters] on efi injectors.

I wish Don was only 2.5 hours from me. I'd make that drive in heartbeat.

7. Member
    Rickp,

I don't know as far as screens. Going by what Service manager told me.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lack of experience- unfortunately "cleaning" is not a "taught" topic in school. Mercury manufactures engines and parts- if metal gets into the Direct/Air Injectors and they are destroyed, the are happy to sell replacement sets of Direct Injectors and rails for those damaged by the metal. This sounds harsh- but it's simply the business of Manufacturing.

If it weren't for the 2.5 hour drive, I'd bet you a steak dinner there IS metal present if properly disassembled and inspected.

Been proven many, many times.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Do yourself and your motor a favor...GO SEE DON. As long as Don is in business I'll be his customer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12