Lakemaster Maps refresh rate

I have a Gen1 Helix 12 SI and the map refresh rate is really slow. I always knew it was slow but now that I have it side by side with my Garmin Echomap, I have something to compare it to and its really really slow. Does anyone know how to speed it up or if the newer generation Helix models (G2 or G3) have a faster map refresh rate? The Garmin unit is almost instant from zooming in/out or panning around the map but the helix takes 4-10 seconds. Thanks for any help
    Edit: My Helix 12 is updated with the latest software and Im running the latest lakemaster southeast map card. My helix is also wired directly to the battery so no voltage issues.
    Last edited by SethRstein; 01-18-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Added info

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    You can only zoom out further or you can choose to turn off contour lines which lessens the load on the processor.

I don't think zooming in/out on my 1st Gen H12SI takes anywhere near 10 seconds...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    Seth, Are you current with your update level? The map detail may also come into play. A simple lake map is much friendlier to speed than one that has high detail. For instance 1 foot contours vs.20 foot contours. Satellite photo's of the shore,roads etc. Zoom levels also play into that. I don't know what maps you are using on either, but these could be contributing to your situation. Bob

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post
    I have a Gen1 Helix 12 SI..... Im running the latest lakemaster southeast map card...
    My comment was on the LM contours.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    I see that edit now. Also I was looking more from the perspective of the comparison to the other brand's map.

6. Member
    Is there a way to show fewer contours?

7. Member
    only on solix. but in effect the less data you have on the screen is the key as well as being zoomed out enough the screen needs less refreshing. Assuming you are moving and that is when you are noticing the delay you can also use the velocity offset to put your boat icon at the bottom of the screen. If you have a mess of waypoints that also can be reduced by using waypoint decluttering.

8. Member
    Took the boat out this weekend and the same issue. At this point Im not sure if the Humminbird is extra slow or the other unit is extra fast. I actually time it and sometime the map would take 7 seconds to refresh while moving 60mph. Thats 0.12 miles without having a map. I tried the vessel offset, cleared my tracks, and waypoint decluttering is on. I even tried changing the map orientation from course up to north up and its still very slow to refresh. I reset to factory defaults and that didnt help either. Thanks for all of the input and possible solutions.

9. Member
    What zoom level are you at?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    What zoom level are you at?
    I tried different zoom levels but I usually run with the map zoomed out to the point where the contour lines begin

11. Member
    What I am asking for is if your map needs to redraw again with the 616 feet you travel in that timespan the map is trying to redraw more than once. I do not know the formula for redraw programming but your situation is not the norm unless setup is causing it. We have many folks that run faster than that. The zoom level is shown near the bottom of a chart screen. Bob

12. Member
    Got it. I'll pay attention to that the next time Im out. Unfortunately, with it being so cold that might be a while.