Swapping from OMC to newer pro xs

As the title says I am swapping from a 99 Johnson to a 2011 pro xs 200 on a 99 Triton TR20. I plan on buying a new flush mount control box. And a new mercury ignition switch to do away with the old mic kill switch. Also going to install the vessel link so I can network to my Lowrance units and remove most all the analog gauges. Is there anything else I should do. I am deep enough I should pull the 8 pin wiring harness and run a new 14 instead of getting the adapter? Any other suggestions

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06matt View Post
    As the title says I am swapping from a 99 Johnson to a 2011 pro xs 200 on a 99 Triton TR20. I plan on buying a new flush mount control box. And a new mercury ignition switch to do away with the old mic kill switch. Also going to install the vessel link so I can network to my Lowrance units and remove most all the analog gauges. Is there anything else I should do. I am deep enough I should pull the 8 pin wiring harness and run a new 14 instead of getting the adapter? Any other suggestions
    Sounds like you're doing great things, you're gonna love that DFI Mercury, uses SO much less gas and oil than the Johnrude. Since your boat is older, upgrading wire sounds like a great idea if you can do it. I don't know exactly what you're talking about, '8 pin harness', is that a Mercury thing or a Triton thing? Following because my 'new to me' 2001 Triton TR20 may need wiring replaced due to rodents; hasn't been run in 11 yrs.

Isn't your TR20 rated for 225 hp, or is your 200 hp choice because you found a used motor?
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    14 pin harness would be excellent, though it has it's own unique challenges in the Tritons (much of the boat wiring is inter-twined).

Steering Cylinder is likely going to require replacement as well as Tach.

If you would, please review the Forum Announcements and update your thread with the Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor