Ark boat registration renewal

Does the state send us a renewal notice prior to our registration expiring or do we just need to stay on top of it?
    Thanks...my first renewal is coming up end of March.

2. Member
    In case you didn't know, they have changed the renewal process according to a friend of mine. You must take a pic of that little metal plate attached to the back of your boat that has all the info they need about your rig. If it's not really clear and readable, they'll send you home for another pic. Mine expires in March also as I recall.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes, you need a picture of the plate on back of boat. They also offer that you can take paper and rub with pencil to get imprint but didn't try that just take good picture. They discovered they fat fingered a character for mine when they originally registered in 2006 but it was there mistake. Course they had to reissue everything and correct it. I renewed my registration last fall so this is new process. Oh, I want to say they sent me a renewal notice at the time also.

Dennis
    D & H Designs, LLC
    MarineTrailerSavers.com

4. Member
    "They also offer that you can take paper and rub with pencil to get imprint", this is what I did with no issues renewing.

5. Member
    I also did the pencil imprint thing (twice) and thought it was very legible but they rejected it. Finally forced me to take a picture that I myself couldn't actually read a couple of the letters and they accepted it. I hope this isn't something they are going to expect every 3 years.

I did the pencil rub and they had no problem accepting it. I wish I would've asked if they need it every three years. They did photocopy the rubbing so I am hoping we don't need to do it every three years.

7. Member
    Well to be clear, my first pencil rub was rejected in Little Rock so I decided to renew at the local office and they accepted it. When it got sent to Little Rock they rejected it again. Finally emailed them the unreadable photo and they accepted it.

8. Member
    Pencil rubIf you use a picture you must give them the pic.

9. Member
    They sent me one - I renewed last week.
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

10. Member
    When I registered my boat last year I tried to do a pencil rub but never got it perfect. I took a couple of them along with a picture and they lady at the counter just compared the rub to my picture and allowed it. Definitely take both! And I believe you have to do this every three years.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

11. Member
    I took about 5 pencil rubs and the clerk took the best one and said "I can read it but if Little Rock dosen't like it you'll get a letter." Well I got a letter so I either have to send a better pencil rub or a picture, the only thing that didnt show up in the rub was the RNG in the HIN. After working a couple of years in AR DMV from 2010-12 I can say our boat system is a joke and this is what they've come up with to keep boats mistakenly transferred to new ownership. I saw several cases where people would sell boats and either a wrong reg. # or HIN put in the system and boom somebody dosen't own the boat that's in still their driveway for 10 years anymore due to a mistake made on the other side of the state. Huge headache for the real owner when he comes to renew his boat and the system doesn't show that he owns it anymore.

I asked the gal at the registry and she claimed this was a federal requirement. Are we the only state doing this?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I asked the gal at the registry and she claimed this was a federal requirement. Are we the only state doing this?
    Thought El Trumpo was deregulating the federal gov't?

14. Member
    I don't know about that but like I said working in AR DMV for two years our boat system is pretty bad. The correct way to transfer ownership at that time was on the back of the yellow registration now you get a registration that looks just like the one you get with a vehicle. At the time you could walk in with a hand written bill of sale and no registration saying I John Smith sold XYZ boat to Jim Mitchell AR123Abc. Well likely the clerk was a woman who knows nothing about boats and wouldn't check to see if John Smith was the owner so you basically erased John Smith's name and address and put Jim Mitchell's name and address. The issue was if the reg numbers were AR123abc and the seller put AR124abc or the clerk at the DMV typed in AR123abd then it was so easy to transfer a boat into the buyers name that wasn't the boat he purchased. So when the real owner never got the letter in the mail and realized his registration was expiring he'd go to renew to find out he was no longer technically the owner in the system because someone screwed up on the sale of another boat, either the Revenue Office clerk or seller putting wrong reg numbers or HIN on the bill of sale but ultimately the clerk should have checked to see if owners name matched what was in the system. I've seen people come to renew their boat who didn't get a letter and hand me an old registration or Tax Assessment with HIN, go in the system and see that the boat transferred ownership half way across the state. It was mostly on jon boats or old boats but it was a real PITA for the correct owner who now technically dosen't own the boat in the system. Remember the AR reg numbers stay with the boat for its life as long as it stays in AR. By giving proof of the HIN to the clerk it gets sent to Little Rock to be confirmed where as before since we don't title boats nothing was sent to LR. We would keep Bill's of sale or signed over registrations in our file but nothing was sent to LR to confirm the actual boat being sold was the boat actually being sold, very screwed up system but I guess this is what LR came up with to help mitigate the situation.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 01-28-2019 at 10:44 AM.

15. Member
    Hey Chad, you been able to get out on the lake lately? A-Rig? Spoon? Jig?

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I don't know about that but like I said working in AR DMV for two years our boat system is pretty bad. The correct way to transfer ownership at that time was on the back of the yellow registration now you get a registration that looks just like the one you get with a vehicle. At the time you could walk in with a hand written bill of sale and no registration saying I John Smith sold XYZ boat to Jim Mitchell AR123Abc. Well likely the clerk was a woman who knows nothing about boats and wouldn't check to see if John Smith was the owner so you basically erased John Smith's name and address and put Jim Mitchell's name and address. The issue was if the reg numbers were AR123abc and the seller put AR124abc or the clerk at the DMV typed in AR123abd then it was so easy to transfer a boat into the buyers name that wasn't the boat he purchased. So when the real owner never got the letter in the mail and realized his registration was expiring he'd go to renew to find out he was no longer technically the owner in the system because someone screwed up on the sale of another boat, either the Revenue Office clerk or seller putting wrong reg numbers or HIN on the bill of sale but ultimately the clerk should have checked to see if owners name matched what was in the system. I've seen people come to renew their boat who didn't get a letter and hand me an old registration or Tax Assessment with HIN, go in the system and see that the boat transferred ownership half way across the state. It was mostly on jon boats or old boats but it was a real PITA for the correct owner who now technically dosen't own the boat in the system. Remember the AR reg numbers stay with the boat for its life as long as it stays in AR. By giving proof of the HIN to the clerk it gets sent to Little Rock to be confirmed where as before since we don't title boats nothing was sent to LR. We would keep Bill's of sale or signed over registrations in our file but nothing was sent to LR to confirm the actual boat being sold was the boat actually being sold, very screwed up system but I guess this is what LR came up with to help mitigate the situation.
    Yeah what a mess! Next time I talk to someone that has a boat registered in MO I'll have to ask them if they are doing this procedure.

17. Member
    Yeah what a mess! Next time I talk to someone that has a boat registered in MO I'll have to ask them if they are doing this procedure.
    Ya know MO titles boat, motor, and trailer. I doubt they have the lacky system we have here so my guess would be no. I picked up a 2017 Ranger Rb190 in Shell Knob earlier this month that my dad had bought, he lives in Mississippi, and MO is pretty tight on their boats. I will say the day I left the Revenue Office and got my new State job they implemented a whole knew system but the hull picture/pencil scratch started last year I believe.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Hey Chad, you been able to get out on the lake lately? A-Rig? Spoon? Jig?
    Hey Mr Poole!! I've seen on here where you've been catching them. Unfortunately I haven't been since early December. Between holidays, weather, and life in general I haven't been out. I was on a decent channel swing RK and Wart bite at that time. I plan on trying to chase a few crappie soon the get back to the bass. We spent too much wasted time on TR in the early Fall for the Toyota tournament.