First trip of the year 1/5 2019

Saturday January 5th was scheduled to be an absolutely beautiful day and it did not disappoint. When we got the the ramp at Big Bay at noon it was already in the lower 50's.....it hit 65* easy later on that afternoon. I could have fished in my T-shirt from 1-3pm easy. It was dead calm and bright sun. The water was stained from the recent rains and the lake level was above 916. Water temp started out at about 46.5 but was at 48* and some change by the end of the day. We chased the shallow bite first but couldn't get bit on any of the usual cold weather baits. We tried jerk baits, crank baits, an underspin, A-rig, drop shot worm, red eye shad, and a jig....NOTHIN'. Finally, we didn't want to get skunked so we went out deep and found several clusters of kentuckies hanging around at the 45'-52' line. We dropped a spoon to them and picked up a handful but nothin' to brag about. We also hooked up with a couple little brownies...I rarely get to fish on my birthday so it was a real treat for sure. Hope to get out again in the next couple of weeks. Hope ya'll are getting to go some....will post again soon......I hope.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 01-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.

2. Member

3. Member