Thread: CPR

CPR

When Troy Jens was playing bars in Council Bluffs the band was setting up their equipment at Bill and Martha's. As thing progressed Troy was doing a mic check.
    Check check check

Someone in the darkened audience yelled, " Hey, you want to hold it down?"

Troy says, "We are doing Mic checks'

Voice in the audience says " yea, we are trying to get this guys vitals"

House lights come on and it was a paramedic doing CPR and heart massages on a guy on the floor.

4. Member
    Haha, I had to do it once on a guy in a bar. I'm on code team for my hospital and have been in hundreds of codes, but only 1 in a bar. Me and the paramedic who helped me because best friends after that.

The rules for CPR have changed so much since I was first trained... And now there are laws in place that protect folks who stop and give CPR to strangers because they literally want you to beat the hell out of someone now during CPR with chest compressions that breaths are not necessary anymore.. When we first went over that I felt like there's no way you want me pressing this hard... I'll break something...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

i was going to call 9 11 but couldn't find the 11 on the phone

My wife, who was trained on how to administer CPR many years ago, had an older male customer fall down in the doorway of her restaurant, he was having a heart attack. She ran to him quickly, checked everything correctly, instructed someone to call 911, and started to perform CPR. After just a few minutes, one of her (very large and not so intelligent) co-workers literally pushed her out of the way saying "move over", you're doing it wrong!! then on his first chest compression, you could hear an audible "CRACK"... this guy broke the old man's chest plate due to pressing entirely too hard. The old man had just been released from the hospital and was still recovering from open heart surgery. The man's family was standing right there and witnessed the whole thing and although they may have had a really good case against the guy as well as the restaurant, the family didn't pursue any damages at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    My wife, who was trained on how to administer CPR many years ago, had an older male customer fall down in the doorway of her restaurant, he was having a heart attack. She ran to him quickly, checked everything correctly, instructed someone to call 911, and started to perform CPR. After just a few minutes, one of her (very large and not so intelligent) co-workers literally pushed her out of the way saying "move over", you're doing it wrong!! then on his first chest compression, you could hear an audible "CRACK"... this guy broke the old man's chest plate due to pressing entirely too hard. The old man had just been released from the hospital and was still recovering from open heart surgery. The man's family was standing right there and witnessed the whole thing and although they may have had a really good case against the guy as well as the restaurant, the family didn't pursue any damages at all.
    I'm sure it put your wife in an uncomfortable position as to whether she should tell them to back off, or yield to the idiot. I think a "back off bitch" might have been appropriate in that situation, but I understand the need to remain civil in that situation. She reacted to the emergency and did what she could. Good for her.
    Took CPR training every year for 30+ years. The technique did change over the years with chest compressions being considered more important than rescue breathing. If chest compressions are administered correctly, at a steady 2.0-2.4" compression rate many time the popping and cracking you here is normally the cartilage separating from the bones in the sternum area. And mildly cracked ribs may result from properly administered chest compressions. The best way to insure minimal bone damage while applying proper compressions is to not get excited, or in a hurry. Lock your elbows with your chest directly over the victim and maintain a steady pace. Over my career, I was involved in administering CPR to both staff, and inmates, in a prison environment. Most of the time with an large audience of both watching your every move. The hardest thing to do is remain calm while others around you are freaking out, or commenting. And many will. Had a fellow staff member try to move me out of the way one day while I was administering CPR to an inmate that was having a heart attack. They apparently developed a case of "hero syndrome" and wanted to be "the guy" in that situation. Luckily, some medical staff had arrived on the scene, and already commented that I was doing it correctly, so they were letting me continue until their equipment arrived from the institution hospital. The PA told the guy to back off and let me continue. He and I had a "come to Jesus meeting later in the day". Some people just don't perform well in stressful situations.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    i was going to call 9 11 but couldn't find the 11 on the phone
    It's to the right of 10.