Yamaha engine question

Getting a new to me 198 with a 225 HPDI motor. I’ve always had older OMC motors and dont know anything about Yamaha’s. Boat is going to need all new batteries. Is the 08 HPDI in need of a higher capacity battery? The new boat has lots of room for 4 big batteries and I was thinking of getting AGM’s which I’ve never had either....

Just wondering and thank thanks for any replies!

Tim

2. Member
    Even if it wasn't required for your outboard, it wouldn't hurt to have it anyway. New electronics, shallow water anchors, livewells and other accessories can really task a cranking battery big time!

3. Banned
    Not needed on Yamis like the Mercs require (I don’t know if the OMC’s require big batteries), as mentioned though bigger is safer.

Any pics of the boat? Did you find it on Facebook, seems like I saw one for sale there recently.

4. Banned
    Check over on the Yamaha board... Dan

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Congratulations, Tim. Would love to see pictures!!

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    As grout-scout said, it's not required on the HPDI, but I would support Champ 2001 in that with the bigger electronics, shallow water anchors, livewell pumps and the like, it sure doesn't hurt. I run a group 29 Interstate for cranking/housekeeping and group 27s on my TM. I have a 250 HPDI on my 07 210. You can get the larger battery tray from TH Marine that is like the OEM trays.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-...ay-with-strap/